Question

How do I make a Zapier Chatbot post images and files back in chat?

• 16 February 2024
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

It seems like this should be simple enough, what am I missing? Here’s what I want to do:

1. Type in a chatbot session.
  2. It generates an OpenAI / DALL-E 3 image.
  3. Then it sends that image back into the chat.

How do I do this? Zapier Chatbots is grayed out as an action after the initial trigger, so I’m unclear on how to return results to the chatbot itself.

I basically want to understand how to take input (text, images, etc.) and then send it back into the same chatbot session, even if it’s file links. Just like I can already do with Zapier outputs like email.

I’ve seen workarounds using forms + tables, but I’d really like to find a way to do it all in one chatbot session that I can PUBLICLY share.

Please advise, thank you.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @TORLEY. It’s not something that’s currently possible within the chatbot, but it’s a nice idea! 🙂

I searched the existing feature requests for Zapier Chatbots that we’ve got listed internally but I couldn’t find one that matched what you’re after here. You’d need to get it submitted as a new feature request using the form here so we can begin tracking interest in this! 

In the meantime, perhaps you could create a publicly shared custom GPT that is able to generate images and show them to the user? And you can set up some Zapier AI Actions to add any additional Zap-like functionality to the GPT as needed. 

Could that work?

Userlevel 1

Hey @SamB Plus 1 to this feature. I would love to have the user enter a URL, that triggers a Zap, takes a screenshot of the website, analyzes it and return to the user back in the chat. Even if it needs an account upgrade :)

Yes, I've done it with a custom GPT but the problem is that the user needs to have a ChatGPT premium account… that limits the reach of the chatbot in some degree, right?

I've submitted the feature request :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for submitting that feature request to the Chatbots team @Gabe_M. I can’t add your vote as it doesn’t appear the feature request has been created yet but I’m sure the team will respond to you on that soon. 

Ah yes, that’s a very good point about custom GPTs requiring a ChatGPT Plus plan! Hopefully the ability to run a Zap and have it return data to the Chatbot will be added soon. I can’t make any promises around when but if I hear any news on that I’ll be sure to share it here. 🙂

Userlevel 3
Badge

Is there a way to upload images into a Zapier Chatbot, like how we can do it with a Custom GPT? For example, if I want it to identify what’s in the image. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Unfortunately not, @TORLEY. Zapier Chatbots does not currently have the ability to allow you to upload or interpret an image directly from within the chatbot conversation. 

You could add an action to a chatbot that can trigger a Zap which could in theory use an Analyze Image Content With Vision (ChatGPT) action to interpret the image but, it wouldn’t then be able to send the information back to the conversation as a new response. 

Sorry for the less than ideal news on that. If anything changes on that front we’ll be sure to let you know!

Userlevel 1

That would be a game changer and kill every other chatbot builder! Please add this feature.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Totally agree it would be a game changer, @Gabe_M! If that functionality does get added we’ll be sure to let you know. 🙂