Question

How do I make a Monday.com board to correct the sub-item with Zapier?

• 18 August 2023
  • 4 replies

When a task (which is subitem of a parent) is created in Board A, depending on which department the subitem is labeled to, an item is created in its respective board that we’ll call Board B (so a subitem is being created as a parent).

I can do MANY workarounds with Monday native features and apps to create a two-way status connection but they are slow and unreliable. These items are a copy of each other, one is a subitem in a high-level view, the other is an item at the department board so it’s natural to try to keep them connected.

On my testing, as I create more items in board A and the tasks are being generated in board B, my Zapier automation only reads the last item created and it’s being connected to the correct subitem. How can I make the Board B update the correct subitem from Board A?

Snapshot below:

In yellow and green markup show the connection and circled is the column to be updated.

Thank you!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @lfernandes 
Good question.

Make sure to put the Subitem ID from Board A on the Item in Board B, and vice versa.

That will help you connect the Item/Subitem programmatically.

I updated the snapshot.

I’ll tweak as you mentioned.

@Troy Tessalone Every item in Board A has a parent item that is unique. I’ve added an extra step where I track the parent previously to tracking the subitems. That should be the key on directing which item should be changed as most subitems form Board A have the same name.

As I’ve been unable to select a custom ID I’m still going through the issue where every status change from B is being directed to the same item from Board A.

So as of now this is where I’m at:

1. I’m getting the values from Board B.
  2. Parent items in Board A.
  3. Subitems of Board A.
  4. Change Multiple Columns Value.

What I’ve been missing here? Maybe a specific board? Maybe change the type of trigger?

Any help is valid, thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@lfernandes 

The Item ID column type will expose the Item ID.

https://support.monday.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005310285-Column-types-available-on-monday-com

Then automations would need to be configured to put the Subtask Item ID on the Parent Task, and vice versa for reference in the automations.