Best answer

How do I 'lookup Google Sheet column and create folder with part values.

• 7 September 2022
  • 2 replies

Hi,

I’m new and hoping you can please help advise the best way to approach this problem.

When a new customer signs up (and let's say they fill in an onboarding form, and I’m using a webhook to retrieve the information). I want to add the customer's name to the next available row in G-Sheet Column B which is the ‘Index’ of customers. Column A in this sheet is an internal reference number for each person, so this would be the assigned reference.

Once the new retrieved value is added to Column B. I would like to create a Folder inside Google Drive using value of Column A + Column B. So essentially a folder called (assigned reference + name).

I don’t think this should be all that difficult, but I’m unsure how to achieve this with Zapier.

Thanks,
B

icon

Best answer by nicksimard 20 September 2022, 21:39

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @BPAProp 

Good question.

Overall, I’d recommend using Airtable instead of GSheets.

If you are trying to use GSheets, then you’ll need to use this logic…

You’ll need a helper column that has values of TRUE/FALSE.

Action: GSheets - Find Row (Search for TRUE)

Action: GSheets - Update Row (Update TRUE to FALSE along with the other columns)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @BPAProp!

Did you manage to get this worked out? 

What you’re trying to accomplish should definitely be possible. How does that internal reference number get assigned to someone?

If It Also Comes From the Form

In this case, you would simply map both of the fields into the folder name field.

If It’s Generated Automatically When You Add the Name

Here, the output data from the Google Sheets step will contain the value from your reference field, and you can map that + the customer name for your folder name.

If It’s Added Later

You can have a Zap that triggers on New or Updated Spreadsheet Row in Google Sheets then specify a column that would trigger it:

This could be Column A if it’s unlikely to change after that first that that it’s set. Or a separate column that’s only used when wanting to trigger the Zap.

Hope that helps!