Question

How do I look up a name in a Google Spreadsheet and then return the value of a certain column?

• 25 October 2022
  • 5 replies

Hello there. Im trying to setup a trigger in my discord that is like /points or !points or something like that. What it will do is get the persons name that sent the trigger, look them up in a google sheets spreadsheet and then return a value of a certain column. am i able to do this?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @Faulkal 

Yes, this is totally doable, you just have to have a sheet with all discord username and their points.

1. Trigger: Discord - new Channel message
  2. Action: Sheet - Find row using username
  3. Discord: create channel message

awesome. though im having a little trouble with the sheet action. 

im not sure what needs to be filled in these different data points

I did some more testing and figured it out! My next question is (though i cant seem to find the answer) is there a way to trigger only on a specific message in a channel? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Faulkal 

In order to trigger for a specific message, you can add a filter after the trigger so it won't move forward if the message doesn't contain what you are looking for. 

This will not consume any tasks :) 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hey there @Faulkal just checkin in that you were able to find a solution to finding a specific message for your trigger? Hope you were able to get to the finish line with your Zap, and looking forward to hearing from you!