Skip to main content

When creating a zap, I can get the user from Discord. However, there is no email address in the data retrieved, so I can’t use it as a unique identifier to look up the user in MailerLite (or any other service).

I thought about going the other way first: by saving the Discord user ID in MailerLite, so that if the user is updated in ML, I could update them in Discord.

But, to get the Discord ID I need to know against which user to save it in ML. I could use first name and surname, but this is not reliable enough since I could have 2 users with the same name.

Any clever ideas to link a user from ML and Discord and vice versa?

Thank you

Hi there @alex_fips,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

I did some digging into this, and it seems like Discord isn’t able to return the email address of the user. However, we do have an open feature request for the “New User Added” trigger to include email address of the user.

Please let me know if you’d like to get added to that.

Thanks!

Hi there @alex_fips,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

I did some digging into this, and it seems like Discord isn’t able to return the email address of the user. However, we do have an open feature request for the “New User Added” trigger to include email address of the user.

Please let me know if you’d like to get added to that.

Thanks!

Hi Ken. Yes please add me to that.

Do you have any clever ideas for a workaround/solution for the time being?

Thank you.

Thanks for confirming @alex_fips!

I have added you as another interested member to the open feature request for the “New User Added” trigger to return the email address of the user. That does a few things:

• Bring this to the attention of the integration developers
  • Help track interest in this feature being implemented
  • Allows us to notify you via email if this feature becomes available in the future

While I don't have an ETA on when this feature might be implemented, we will notify you via email if it is!

Regarding the workaround, I haven’t had much experience with Discord’s API, but you can probably use a combination of Webhooks steps to retrieve the email address of the user (as long as the API allows it). Please note that Webhooks are an advanced feature, so our support for it may be more limited. 

Not because we don’t want to help, but because APIs can be so different and each request can be so unique. This makes it hard for us to know why the request may be receiving errors or not working as expected. 

If you’d like to get help setting up this kind of workaround. I’d suggest reaching out to one of our certified Zapier Experts. You can reach them here: https://zapier.com/experts

Hopefully, this helps!

Thank you Ken

You are most welcome @alex_fips! I’m glad I was able to provide some clarity here.

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 🤗