Question

How do I integrate Google Sheets with ChatGPT to generate content and update it back in the same sheet?

• 11 March 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

I am trying to take an existing Google Sheet, connect to ChatGPT to feed 2-3 fields of a row (or the entire row is fine) to generate content to update into four the same Google sheet. I am having a problem with the response not conforming with the contraints (# of words or character length), and also I cannot seem to eliminate the generated variables names that are included with the response. I just need the output only. Can anyone assist, please?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey there @Important-Suspect667, welcome to the Community! 🎉 

It sounds like the prompt might need altering to get the desired output from ChatGPT. We have a guide on the Zapier blog that gives some tips that may help with that: How to write an effective GPT-3 or GPT-4 prompt

Can you give the suggestions in that guide a try and let us know how you get on? Happy to help further if you’re still getting stuck with this! 🙂

Userlevel 1

Thanks @SamB. Should I be leveraging the OpenAI integration rather than the ChatGPT integration, as I believe the latter is going to be deprecated in the future?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for getting back to me @Important-Suspect667. 🙂

I’ve not heard anything on this end to suggest that the ChatGPT app on Zapier would be deprecated in the near future. I’d recommend using the app has actions that best fit your current needs.

The OpenAI app on Zapier does have a Send Prompt action which you could potentially use to generate the content. However, it isn’t able to use models like gpt-4 or gpt-3.5-turbo so if you’d specifically like to use those models then it would be best to continuing with the ChatGPT app. If for whatever reason the ChatGPT app is removed in future, it’s likely that there will be alternatives provided that can offer the same functionality, at which point you could then switch to use those alternatives instead.  

Hope that helps. If you have any further questions or if there’s anything else I can assist with in the meantime do let me know!

Userlevel 1

@SamB  I would prefer to use ChatGPT. Am I misinterpreting this article? Here is the link. Thanks in advance.
https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/24785309335565-Sunsetting-the-Zapier-ChatGPT-plugin-what-you-need-to-know#h_01HRCWGH2DWV528CH2PNX0PB2H

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

It’s fine to use the ChatGPT app in your Zap, @Important-Suspect667. The ChatGPT app is not being sunset.

That article relates to the Zapier plugin for ChatGPT, not the ChatGPT app on Zapier which is different. OpenAI is discontinuing plugins for ChatGPT and encouraging folks to use GPTs instead. You can can read more about that here: https://help.openai.com/en/articles/8988022-winding-down-the-chatgpt-plugins-beta.

Hope that helps to clarify things. If you need any further guidance or assistance I'm happy to help. 🙂

Userlevel 1

Thank you @SamB !