Question

How do I include an image when a Tumblr post triggers a Journey entry?

• 31 July 2023
  • 9 replies

I have a Zap set up to create an entry in Journey when I publish a post on Tumblr. However, I can’t figure out how to include an image. I believe I need something in the Media URL field, but nothing I’ve tried there works. What, if anything, should I put there? And if there’s something different I should be doing, what is it?

I have similar Instagram to Journey zap set up, and it was pretty straightforward, so I’m feeling really stumped.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @radioscott 

Good question.

The Tumblr trigger would need to include a link to a publicly accessible direct download link of a file OR a file object.

File objects look like: File (exists but not shown)

Hi @radioscott 

Good question.

The Tumblr trigger would need to include a link to a publicly accessible direct download link of a file OR a file object.

File objects look like: File (exists but not shown)

Thanks for the quick reply, Troy. I don’t see any file object option come up when I click on the Media URL field. A link makes sense, but I don’t know what that link would be. I tried a link I copied from a different photo on a different post, but then the zap uses that particular photo instead of the photo contained in a new post. I hope that makes sense.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@radioscott 

Can you post screenshots with all the data points returned from the Zap trigger step?

I hope a short video is acceptable. @Troy Tessalone 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@radioscott 

Did you try either of the data points relate to the image?

Search for “http” to narrow the results.

@Troy Tessalone 

Yes. The only links provided are links to the Tumblr post itself and images in the Tumblr blog theme. I will say that the Body HTML will include the photo if I paste the code into the Text field. But that doesn’t give me what I want. With Instagram and (in the past) Twitter acting as triggers, the photo is included separately, which Journey would attach to the Journey post instead of embedding it.

I beginning to think this a shortcoming in the Tumblr API and perhaps there’s no solution.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@radioscott 

If the Body HTML is returned from Tumblr then that can be parsed to isolate the link to use.

@Troy Tessalone 

Yes, there are several links ending with .jpg within the Body HTML like this one https://64.media.tumblr.com/e9635e11620fe58ef55b6afc984ce932/ad319baf7a46454b-83/s1280x1920/b348d516cb0e40f5fed124572dc3a35c2d3898db.jpg

But when I paste that into the Media URL field, that image is used for every post instead of the new image.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@radioscott 

You would need to use a Zap step to dynamically parse out the image link from the HTML.

Some options:

1. Formatter > Text > Extract Pattern
  2. ChatGPT - Extract Structured Data
  3. Code (JavaScript)