Question

How do I import Caspio database fields to Excel when a VBA code is triggered?

• 20 April 2023
  • 9 replies

I have a VBA Excel application and a Caspio database. I want to trigger some VBA code to seamlessly download selected fields from the Caspio database and place the fields into pre-defined columns of my spreadsheet. Can Zapier do this for me?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi @Ron Anderson 

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

To ensure I understand, could you elaborate more on the issue? If you can phrase it in the “When A happens in Service X, B should happen in Service Y” format, that’ll help me make sure I give you the best suggestion possible.

Also, could you give me the exact name of the apps?

I want to ensure we’re on the same page so I can point you in the right direction.

Looking forward to your response!

Hi Charie and thanks for taking the time to help me.

I have an excel spreadsheet which has considerable VBA coding. I’m not a Zapier user yet but will be if I can achieve the objective. Here’s the process I’m trying to automate

• From the spreadsheet I want to click on an icon as the trigger point.
  • The VBA code has the URL, Login and Password credentials to the Caspio database. Currently I can’t connect to the database directly using VBA so I’m hoping that Zapier can do the following points.
  • Seamlessly connect to the database.
  • Extract a number of non-contiguous fields from the database and paste them into pre-defined columns of my spreadsheet. This can’t be a block of data because the fields in the database are of a different order to the spreadsheet columns
  • Terminate the connection

To summarise… When the icon in the spreadsheet is selected I want Zapier to connect to the database in my Caspio account and perform a data extract, placing the field data into specific columns within my spreadsheet.

I genuinely hope I’ve conveyed this in a way you’ll understand.

The name of the Caspio app is “Assets55 Survey” and the table is “Survey_Collection_Table”. The Excel spreadsheet is “FMR_Manager.xlsm” and is Office 365 based.

Thanks again Charie and I look forward to your response.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @Ron Anderson 

Jumping in to see if I can help!

I understand you want to create a Zap, and the trigger is the Excel sheet. What action app are you going to use? Is the name of the app, Caspio?

Here are helpful articles you can check:

Hi @Brem and many thanks for responding. I’m a total rookie with Zapier. I was hoping to make an icon in a custom ribbon strip the trigger. I’m starting with a blank spreadsheet in Excel and want to extract certain fields from my Caspio database. DO you know if this is possible?

Best regards, Ron

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @Ron Anderson 

I’m not really sure if it is possible but I suggest giving it a try by creating the Zap and then test it.

Here’ are the available triggers in the Microsoft Excel app:

8531f6d0f725288892e171161427ed50.png
Here’s the available action step in the Caspio Cloud Database:

376cb800d798bd99c8df87f1d1fddd76.png

Hopefully this helps!

Hi @Brem many thanks for responding to my query. I attempted to make a connection but the triggers are limited and in my case, don’t fir the context.

Thanks again, Ron

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Ron Anderson,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

Your desired workflow could still be possible with the help of one of our Certified Zapier Experts. You can easily connect with them by visiting this link: https://zapier.com/experts

Hi @ken.a  Thanks for the link, I need to get a budget or is there a way of publishing a scope document and the expert replies?

Cheers, Ron

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @Ron Anderson - thanks for reaching out in community!

You can filter by an Expert that has more experience with your specific apps but no way to publish a scope at the moment. 🙂

That said, I was looking at some of your initial question and it sounds like you’re looking for Caspio to be the initial trigger. In which case these are the available triggers:

I know you mentioned none of these seemed to fit what you’re needing, which I totally understand. If you need something a bit more custom, an Expert is going to be the best resource as Zapier doesn’t currently offer this type of service.

This is also a great article my teammate Danvers wrote on working through if and how Zapier can help with current workflows. :

I hope some of this helps! ⚡️