Best answer

How do I identify the line that should be updated and locate an attachment in Monday.com when a Jira ticket is updated?

• 1 February 2023
  • 3 replies

Hello,

I need to be able to trigger automation when an attachment is added in Jira, to upload that attachment to a specific column in Monday, to a specific row that is associated with the Jira issue. For example:

• Line A in Monday.com is created, triggering creation of Ticket B in Jira (already figured out)
  • When a file is attached to Ticket B, copy that attachment back to the correct column in Monday Line A (problem)

The issue I seem to run into is twofold:

1. Identifying the line that should be updated when a Jira ticket is updated
  2. Locating an attachment in the attachments field in Jira in order to complete the transfer

Thanks all!

icon

Best answer by SamB 2 February 2023, 23:26

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Welcome to the Community, @warrior504th

Identifying the line that should be updated when a Jira ticket is updated

For this first part, you’d want some way of being able to identify the relevant Monday.com line item. The best thing to do would be to use something that you know is going to be unique, like its ID number. So when creating the Jira ticket, I’d suggest adding the ID number (itemId) from the Monday.com trigger, to the Jira ticket. That way you could use the item’s ID that’s stored on the ticket to search for the correct item.

To search for the corresponding Monday.com item you’d want to use a Get Item by Column Value (Monday.com) search action. If it helps, you can find out more about using search actions here: Search for existing data in Zaps

Locating an attachment in the attachments field in Jira in order to complete the transfer

For this second part, it looks as though the Jira attachments wouldn’t be available. We’ve got a related topic in Community that references an existing feature request for New and Update Issue triggers for Jira Software Cloud to support attachments:

I’ve added your vote for that so we can email you as soon as it’s available. And we’ll be sure to post any updates on that related topic, as and when they happen!

Sorry to not have an immediate solution here, but I hope this info helps to clarify what’s possible right now. 🙂

\Thanks @SamB!

Getting the Item ID was a whole other headache, so if anyone is looking, the process is to do this:

Set up your issue creation in Jira to have one field match the Item Name from Monday, to aid in the search later. 

Trigger is when an attachment is added in Jira

Action to find issue back-searches for the same issue in order to locate the attachment field

Filters to filter as necessary so it doesnt trigger on everything

Webhook to search item names in Monday that match the summary in Jira (I configured Monday native automation to copy the item name to the summary in jira to make this easy)

Post in Webhooks by Zapier

Set up to upload file (the part that doesnt function:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ah, thanks for sharing your solution here @warrior504th! It’s so appreciated.

We love to see this and I know it’ll help anyone who comes across a similar issue. 🧡