Best answer

How do I get the user's Microsoft Azure AD identity from a Freshservice ticket?

• 19 July 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, I want to add a user to a Microsoft Azure AD Security Group based on who the user logging the ticket is,

how do I grab the user’s Microsoft identity (e-mail address) from a Freshservice ticket the user has logged?

Freshservice fields are “requested_for_ ID” which is a number rather than an email address.

icon

Best answer by SamB 19 July 2023, 17:32

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey there @JolteonPixel

You’re right, it doesn’t look like there’s an actual email addressed returned by the Freshservice New Ticket trigger. Usually it’s possible to get around this sort of issue by using a search action to get more details for the user, but I’m not seeing any search actions available for Freshservice currently. So I’d recommend reaching out to our Support Team to request that they open up a new feature request to either have the email address returned by the New Ticket trigger or to have a search user action.

In the meantime, it looks like the Freshservice API has the ability to search for a specific user by ID (See: View a Requester) so you could potentially use Freshservice’s API Request (Beta) action to search for the user and retrieve their email address that way. It’s a bit more advanced to set up as it would involve setting up the actual webhook request but the authentication part is taken care of which can help to simplify things a bit. If that’s something you’d be interested exploring I’d suggest checking out our Set up an API request action guide for more details on how to set it up.

If you run into any issues on that at all just let us know! 🙂

Userlevel 1

Hey there @JolteonPixel

You’re right, it doesn’t look like there’s an actual email addressed returned by the Freshservice New Ticket trigger. Usually it’s possible to get around this sort of issue by using a search action to get more details for the user, but I’m not seeing any search actions available for Freshservice currently. So I’d recommend reaching out to our Support Team to request that they open up a new feature request to either have the email address returned by the New Ticket trigger or to have a search user action.

In the meantime, it looks like the Freshservice API has the ability to search for a specific user by ID (See: View a Requester) so you could potentially use Freshservice’s API Request (Beta) action to search for the user and retrieve their email address that way. It’s a bit more advanced to set up as it would involve setting up the actual webhook request but the authentication part is taken care of which can help to simplify things a bit. If that’s something you’d be interested exploring I’d suggest checking out our Set up an API request action guide for more details on how to set it up.

If you run into any issues on that at all just let us know! 🙂

nice! As I was waiting for a response I actually just did exactly as you suggested and used the API Request Beta action and managed to get the user’s email address :-)

thanks for your help