Question

How do I get the parent item ID from a subitem column change trigger in monday.com?

• 16 January 2023
  • 1 reply

Hi,

When I use the trigger Specific Column Value Changed in Board in monday.com for a subitem, I would need it’s item parent ID to reference it in another formula / automation. This information doesn’t show up in the different output fields in Zapier. I saw in the monday.com documentation that there seems to be a way to query the subitem’s parent item ID (https://developer.monday.com/api-reference/docs/subitems) but since I’m new at this, I’m not too sure how to do it ;) 

Any help is more than welcome!

Thanks!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @pbgci9!

Hmm, looking at Monday’s API documentation it seems that “All subitems are stored on an entirely separate board from their parent items”. I wonder if you could use one of the Monday.com app’s existing search actions to search for the corresponding board?  

If that doesn’t work then you may need to use a Webhooks by Zapier action to search using the Monday API. I can’t advise on exactly how you’d need to set that up but we have a guide that explains how to Send webhooks in Zaps which may be useful. You’d also need to make sure to follow Monday.com’s API subitem documentation when setting that up.

Hope that helps to get you started. Please do let us know how you get on with this!