Skip to main content

This isn’t particular to a specific app but more about Zapier actions in general.

Let’s say for example that I have a Clickup action in Zapier. It searches for a task by ID and also returns its subtasks. In another step, I want to pass that entire list of subtasks to an LLM. I need the full text output, even if it’s JSON or some other format (e.g. subtask, subtask ID, subtask name, etc all provided in one go). Example below:

But the problem is I can’t reference the complete output in other actions. I can only reference specific fields of the response, e.g. only subtask names, or only subtask IDs. 

I can’t pass that to the LLM because the subtask names are not associated with the subtask IDs, whereas in a complete JSON/API response, they would be in arrays and objects so that the LLM could recognise and process the subtasks properly.

Short of converting my Zapier action into its own custom webhook action, is there any other way to get the full response from a Zapier action?

Hi @MJ_IATC 

Check this workaround to get the RAW JSON:

@Troy Tessalone this might be what I’m looking for (though I wish there was a built in option that didn’t require a workaround). Will give it a try to be sure. Thanks!

@MJ_IATC 

A Code step could also be used to make the API request and get the raw JSON response.

I’ve wanted a default raw JSON response option in Zap steps for years!

@Troy Tessalone The code step sounds interesting. Do you have any resources on that? If not, mind briefly describing what it is I’m supposed to be doing in the code step? 

I agree, I wish these features were made more readily available for users that need them. I’ve only been using Zapier for less than a year and I’m finding myself already needing it. 

@MJ_IATC 

You can try using the Code app AI to help configure the code.

https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/15666688064013-Generate-a-Code-step-using-AI-Beta

You can try asking ChatGPT for hep configuring the code for a Zap Code step.