Best answer

How do I generate a payment in PayPal using Trello?

• 5 September 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I’d like to generate a payment in PayPal to a specific board member in Trello when a card is moved into a certain list.

I’d like the Zap to look at the member on the card and know what email address to make the payment to and for how much based on fields contained in the Trello card.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Liam

icon

Best answer by Danvers 22 September 2022, 14:05

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @LiamA!

That should be possible :)

If the Member Name is present in your trigger step, you could use this action…

… to find the member, then I think the email address should be included in the search result.

Another option is to create a lookup table that takes whatever Member info you’re getting from the trigger (maybe it’s just ID, for example) then output the corresponding email address.

More info on lookup tables: 

Hope that helps!

Userlevel 1

Thanks for this info! Much appreciated.

If the PayPal email address I want to make payment to is different from the email address they’ve used to sign up for Trello, is that an issue? I’m not quite sure how you tell it was the corresponding email address is based on your instructions.

How do I also get it to make a payment for an amount that matches the value added in a custom field in a Trello card? Will it also know what currency to pay in?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @LiamA!The lookup table is something you would set up manually. Did you check out the article I linked to? 

In the lookup table you put the incoming value on the left side and the one you want to output on the right. 

Like this:​

So you would choose the Trello field that identifies the person, then put their email address on the right. 

This article explains the lookup table a bit more as well:

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I appreciate the info. These lookup tables seem handy, but I still don’t understand how I would use this to generate a PayPal invoice for that specific member and how it would automatically create an invoice based on the value of a field in that card + the currency type.

How do I do this?

Seems like what you’ve outlined so far is a way to connect an email address with a member’s name, but I require slightly more than that for the Zap I’m trying to create.

Userlevel 1

Hey @nicksimard 

I’m sure you’re really busy, but if you do get a chance to help me with my most recent follow-up question, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liam

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @LiamA!

Nick’s explained some useful ways that you can use a Lookup table, but I can see that you’d like to use Zapier to create a payment in Paypal, unfortunately that’s not currently possible.

We do have an open feature request to add this action to the Zapier Paypal integration and I’ve added you as an interested user. This helps the team to track interest in the feature and also means that we’ll send you an email if we have an update. 

I’m sorry that I don’t have better news for you today!