How do I find a Discord user by their server nickname?

• 24 March 2024
  • 1 reply

Apologies if I posted this in the wrong space...

Is it possible for ya’ll to add the user’s nickname to part of the query when using the “Find User in Discord” event.

I am trying to make it possible to add roles to users based on how they sign up for an event on a spreadsheet, however most people’s nicknames do not match their discord username due to server requirements.

Since “Nick” is part of the output data when you find a user, surely it could also be part of the input, right?

Or maybe there is already a way to do this that I am missing (aside from making people put their gov name as their discord username).

Thanks.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hello and welcome to the Community here, @tora117! 🎉

I couldn’t see any existing feature requests for the ability to search for a user by their nickname rather than username. So I’d recommend contacting the Support team to put in a new feature request for the ability to search for users by nickname. 

There is an API Request (Beta) action available for the Discord app so if their API supports searching by nickname then you could potentially use that to find the user. It’s a bit more advanced than setting up the usual Discord triggers and actions as you’d need to reference Discord’s API documentation to set up the API request, but we have a Set up an API request action guide that may help to get you pointed in the right direction.

If you do give that a try please do let us know how you get on. 🙂