Best answer

How Do I filter for direct tracking of field changes within Google Calendar events?

• 24 August 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

I’ve created a Zap for our internal use that will send a DM in Slack to the attendees of an updated (confirmed) Google calendar event and it works great! 

I’ve set the filter to only continue if the Color Id matches the color id associated with a “Confirmed” event (Color id 2) or if the Color id does not contain the Color id for a “Tentative” event.

Filter Rules For Step 2
Where The Color ID Value Comes From

What I can’t figure out Is how to only trigger this Zap when this specific field has been updated to be “Color id 2” because currently if an event is “confirmed” on the calendar and someone updates the description field or any other field at a later time, this Zap gets triggered.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

And for anyone curios, steps 3 and 4 are just filters setup to remove the email address associated with the main calendar from the attendees list.  I had to use 2 filters because depending on who was attending the event the email to filter could either have the comma before or after to separate it (,calendar@domain.com or calendar@domain.com,)

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by GetUWired 24 August 2023, 21:04

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @BenDLEMG,

My thought would be to add a few steps like the following after the initial filter.  This would involve storing the event id in a google sheet or Zapier table.

1. Find Event Id in Google Sheet or Zapier Table.  Create row with the Event Id if not found.
  2. Filter step:  If the zap search for the Event Id is false, then continue.

This would mean the Zap would only run completely one time.  

There could be a few variations on this, but it may get the job done.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 1

Hi @BenDLEMG,

My thought would be to add a few steps like the following after the initial filter.  This would involve storing the event id in a google sheet or Zapier table.

1. Find Event Id in Google Sheet or Zapier Table.  Create row with the Event Id if not found.
  2. Filter step:  If the zap search for the Event Id is false, then continue.

This would mean the Zap would only run completely one time.  

There could be a few variations on this, but it may get the job done.

Hope this helps!

This certainly helped!  I’m new to this whole “no code” thing and didn’t even know about Zapier Tables.  Looking in to it sent me down a huge rabbit hole but I’m glad you suggested that route because those tables are impressive!  I’m looking forward to experimenting more with them in future workflows.  

I added quite a few more steps to the Zap but now I’m able to parse all the data I want from a calendar event and use that table in other Zaps! Very excited about the possibilities!

I’m sure there is a more streamlined way of formatting the data I need but I don’t know how yet so this path is how I’m doing it.  It works and that’s what’s most important right now :)

​​​​​​​Thank you again for the suggestion!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

That’s fantastic, @BenDLEMG! 🎉 Thanks for letting us know, I’m really pleased GetUWired was able to help get you pointed in the right direction on this. And super glad you’re enjoying Zapier Tables! ⚡

Seems like you’re all set for the moment but please do hop back in the Community again if you ever need help with your Zaps. We’re always here and happy to assist! 😁