Best answer

How do I extract the content of a cell in Google Sheets?

• 5 April 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

My overall goal: Every time I add a new row to a Google Sheet I want Zapier to take the email address from that row and send an email to that address.

I’ve set up this structure:

1. New Spreadsheet Row in Google Sheets
2. Lookup Spreadsheet Row in Google Sheets
3. Send Email in Gmail

1 and 3 seem to be working fine. I need help with 2.

This is the part that’s confusing me:

How do I specify which row number / cell I want it to take the data from? Am I supposed to be able to enter a row number where it’s saying ‘No data’? (I can’t).

When I test this step it says: “Failed to find a spreadsheet row in Google Sheets. Required field "Lookup Value" (lookup_value) is missing.”

icon

Best answer by ken.a 5 April 2023, 20:06

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey there @Sara01381eoh,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

We have a detailed instructions on how to use the “Lookup Spreadsheet Row in Google Sheets” action step. Here: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8495978803213

Please try following the instructions in that help article, and keep us posted if you’re still running into an issue.

Thanks! 😊

Userlevel 1

Thanks @ken.a 

I had seen that page but unfortunately it doesn’t help.

It shows an email address entered in the ‘Look up value’ field but my goal is extract an as-yet-unknown email address from a specified cell and save that email address to use in the next action.

Perhaps I’m using the wrong action. Maybe there is another action that will achieve this instead.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Sara01381eoh,

Thanks for checking out the help article!

Maybe we can get away without the Lookup Spreadsheet Row value. I tried replicating your workflow on my end, and here’s what I came up with:

1. Trigger: Google Sheets (New or Updated Spreadsheet Row)
    If you want the Zap to only trigger when you added a new email to the row you must select the email header from the “Trigger Column”.
    8d986e65041d700c88f2c9330457263f.png
    (view larger)

If you set up the Google Sheets correctly the trigger data should look like this:
    248960e9dc715f4cc8418e52fb2dceac.png
    (view larger)

2. Action: Gmail (Send Email)
    f838a13ee471a3cb6d37da9019c59361.png
    (view larger)

Please give that a try, and let me know how it goes! 😊

Userlevel 1

Thank you. This works!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Sara01381eoh,

Great to hear that my suggestion did the trick for you!

If you have any other queries or concerns, feel free to ask them in the Community. We’re always happy to help! 🤗