Best answer

How do I extract specific data from sales emails using Zapier email parsing or ChatGPT's structured data Zap?

• 10 January 2024
  • 7 replies

Would anyone be able to quickly help me to the right path with my frustrating email parsing journey (spent days on this)?

I have unsuccessfully tried out both Zapier's email parser and mailparser as well. I would need to extract the following data from my sales emails: "Customer first name, last name, email and product name".

I have now tried the "Extract Structured Data in ChatGPT" zap with supposedly the Named Variables method and even managed to get the data correctly from the email, but only as a one output block named "History Message".

What have I done wrong at this point? How can I get the data as seperate output values like your example?
Am I missing some important steps?

---
ZAPS:

1. New labeled email in Gmail
  2. Extract structured data in ChatGPT (only changed the *user message and included the content from email body)

*user message:

Parse the contact details from the lead.

Return as named variables like this with the parsed value placed between the parentheses:

NameFirst:()
NameLast:()
Email:()
ProductName:())

Content: (email body here as input)

@Troy Tessalone 

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 10 January 2024, 20:00

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Finnishimm 

Can you post detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are outlined and configured to give us true context?

Hope this helps!
Everything else is set as default

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Finnishimm 

Remove the extra )

Example of how named variables need to be formatted. (Yours have a : that needs to be excluded.)

Help article about named variables:

Help article about using ChatGPT as an Email Parser:

Thank you so much @Troy Tessalone , I’m not quite sure what I was thinking with those mistakes. One last question, what kind of variable would you create if there’s a possibility that the emails contain multiple products? Now the results have always only one product extracted.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Finnishimm 

Depends on how you are trying to use the output of the “products” in following Zap action steps.

Can you elaborate with screenshots?

@Troy Tessalone 

Currently I have an Aweber step that first finds a subscriber, updates it with tags and also adds the product name to a custom “subscriber info” personalisation field. In this case I have created a custom field “PRODUCT NAME”. I can create more of those custom fields if this works.

Currently my sales confirmation emails can have multiple product names included, but my aforementioned variable only collects one of them: Response Content Product Name: XXX

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Finnishimm 

I think the issue becomes how many products can there be?

If the # can vary, meaning there is no MAX, then it may be hard to configure the logic.