Best answer

How do I extract data from current Gmail Messages to Google Sheets?

• 25 May 2022
  • 2 replies

I have about 300 emails in a Gmail inbox, all are from the same form submission email (Squarespace originally) and have relatively similar data. What I mean by this is that the oldest messages/form submissions don’t have as many data fields as the new ones, as the form that users submitted through was added to over time.

I am trying to create a Zap that will find all the emails from this address, pull the important data from each, and place it in a Google Sheet so I can do some further analysis of the data. 

I’ve found that a good trigger is “new labeled email”, since I can create a new label in Gmail called “Form Submissions”, and place all the emails from the Squarespace form submission email (something like squarespace.info) into it and Zapier will catch it.

I have also found that I can easily set up the event to be “create new row” on a certain Google Sheet. The issue I’m encountering is that I can’t find a way to selectively pull the data I want from the body of each email. I can select “Body” as a data point to be dropped into a cell on the spreadsheet, but I can’t do anything further to cut that body up. 

Any advice on how to accomplish this?

icon

Best answer by jesse 25 May 2022, 21:07

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @btmiclette! Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such a great explanation of what you’re trying to do here! It sounds like you’re needing to parse the information out of the body of the email and get it into separate rows/columns within the sheet. In that case, you will likely want to look into some parsing solutions. Here are two I can recommend:

You will also need to set up an autoforwarding rule in your email client to filter for these emails and automatically forward them to the parser email address.

Let me know if that sounds like it will help you to accomplish what you’re needing here!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @btmiclette 

To clarify, Zaps work while turned ON for new data going forward.