Best answer

How do I extract data from an attached Excel spreadsheet?

• 30 September 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi!

I’m looking for a way to read data from an excel sheet which is attached to a daily automated email.

The sheet contains some hourly values and a total value for the day. 

I want to get this total value and add it to a central excel sheet to track the changes over time.

I’m struggling with the trigger here in Zapier and not sure if it’s possible to extract data from an email attachment. Unfortunately, I have no other way of sending the data than attached to an email.

icon

Best answer by steph.n 6 October 2020, 04:21

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

I’m interested to know the answer to your problem as well !

Userlevel 1

Well, I can save the excel sheet attachment to a OneDrive folder. That bit is fine. 

But, there’s no trigger to utilise a new excel document, only updates to an existing document.

Trying to figure out another way around this… its being quite frustrating TBH!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @leem209 and @Tizman - I wanted to direct you to this topic in hopes the solution here could be a workaround you can explore:

Userlevel 1

@Tizman I found MailParser.io is able to extract the required data from my email attachments. It’s really quite good! 

from there I can enter it into Zapier as a trigger and send that extracted data over to my central Excel file. 

Another step in the process and another account to manage but working so far, so good. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I made a video for a question in our Process Street Community (still private/invite-only), and figured that someone might have asked a similar question here.

The trigger tool was AppFolio which has no integrations, but any tool that sends a CSV file will work. Obviously, you can strip out the Process Street stuff, or replace with whatever tool you want to use, if anything, after Google Sheets. 

Enjoy!

Also, let me know if there is a better thread for this, one of the other ones was already solved so I didn’t post there. 

https://www.loom.com/share/d90a8cb337b9483cbdd3a66186bd8efb