Question

How do I extract an email address from the body and use it as a recipient email?

• 8 March 2024
  • 3 replies

Hello! Is there a way for me to extract an email address from the email’s body, and use that email as a recipient?

To explain this further, I use Kajabi for my courses, and I receive an automated notification email whenever a new student enrolls.  Now, I want to setup Zapier to send an automated email to the new student after a certain period of time to ask them a few questions. 

The thing is, I’ve done this with Teachable because their notification email includes the customer’s email as a “reply-to”. That’s why I was able to set that up in Zapier. However, the reply-to email address for Kajabi is set up to be directed to Kajabi's email. I’ve talked to a Kajabi representative, and they said that they don’t have the feature like in Teachable, and I have to manually edit or input the customer’s email to the reply-to email in Kajabi, but that’s a lot of work.

So I’m wondering if I could extract the email address from that body because the notification email includes the customer’s address in the body, and use that as a recipient instead of using the reply-to feature?

For reference, here’s my integration for Teachable:

1. Trigger: Gmail > New email matching search 
  2. Delay for in delay by Zapier
  3. Text in Formatter by Zapier (to extract the customer’s first name)
  4. Send email in Gmail (Reply-to email as the recipient)

Thank you so much for your help!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @erin_vulpecula 

Try this Zap action: Formatter > Text > Extract Email Address

Thanks Troy! Then how do I use that extracted email address to be the recipient’s email address to send an automated email?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@erin_vulpecula 

For input fields, use the ‘CUSTOM’ tab to map variables between Zap steps.

Help: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/set-up-your-zap-action