Best answer

How do I dynamically map the record ID and add Google Sheets updated row using custom value?

• 15 June 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Good day, nice if you can help me.
1. I have a zap that I use to create a new record in a database when there is a new line in a Google Sheet.
2. If successful, this database returns a recordID.
3. Now I want to add that recordID to my Google Sheet.
4. How do I do that? I see in Zapier that the ID is returned and can be seen in History/Output of a zapier run. But how do I pick up that RecordID?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best, Jan-Pieter

icon

Best answer by christina.d 16 June 2022, 02:50

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Jan-Pieter 

Good question.

Try adding this Zap step: GSheet - Update Row

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi there, @Jan-Pieter! Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community! 🎉

I wanted to add onto Troy’s recommendation since he’s right, you’ll need to add a Google Sheets “Update Row” action. That said, you should be able to dynamically map the recordID from the previous step using custom values!

Here’s a guide on how to set this up:

I hope this helps! Keep us posted if you have any questions!

Userlevel 1

Thanks @Troy Tessalone and @christina.d, you both helped me do this. The trick is explained in a link in the article Cristina shared Round Robin setup. With this step you can retrieve and use the recordid from the previous step. 

In the next step (Step 5) you can update your google sheet by using the RowID of the google sheet in step 1.

I would not have made it out of here without your help. Super thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

We’re so glad this helped, @Jan-Pieter! And thanks for coming back here to share the last bit of setup you did to get this working. 😊