Question

How do I determine the number of tasks for moving data from Microsoft Excel to Google Sheets?

• 7 September 2023
  • 5 replies

We are currently developing a zap that moves 1 row of data approx 55 data cells from excel to google sheets twice per day - am I correct in thinking that this will be 110 tasks per day or is it just 2 task as it will only be 2 updated rows?  Need help urgently as I am trying to work out what pricing plan is needed and Zapier sales have just directed me here

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 1

Not 110. It would be 2 or 4 tasks per day, depending on how you construct it.  If using the “delay” trigger to run twice a day, you’d need a task to read the data in excel row and a task to write the data in sheets.  If the trigger is “new row in excel”, then the row data is in that payload (no task consumed), and then one task would be used to write the data in sheets.

Hi thanks for your help however we have tried the demo and each cell did count as a task (unbelieveably) so doing this twice a day is working out expensive - i did double check on the chat and zapier confirmed - but thanks for your help

Userlevel 1

Ah, that’s using the Transfer feature of Zapier.  I was approaching it from a different angle...

sorry unsure what you mean - this is the first time we have used Zapier

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @jill2308,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

If building a Zap it sounds like it would trigger when there's a new row in Excel then adding a copy of that row into Google Sheets, is that correct? If so, then the Zap would consists of one trigger and one action so it would just be one task incurred per run of the Zap. A task is only incurred each time an action is run - not when the each cell is updated or when a Zap is triggered. You can learn more about how tasks are counted here: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496196837261

If using Transfer, each record (or row in this case) you move with Transfer by Zapier counts as a task. You wouldn't incur a task for each cell that is updated just every row that is copied to Google Sheets. When setting up the transfer you'll be shown exactly how many tasks will be used, for example:

d4119559bffe64a0de2988612467c2fd.png
(view larger)

I also want to share this blog post explaining Transfers: https://zapier.com/blog/zapier-transfer-guide/

Hope that clears things up! 😊