Question

How do I create an "At-Mention" in a new task and link to a new project in Asana using Zapier?

• 28 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Hello all, 

I am trying to figure out how to create a zap where it creates includes an “At-Mention” in a new task in an already created project (see pic 1) and then links a newly created project in the zap (see pic 1). This would be done at the end of my Zap process since the task is created before the project (see pic 1). Basically I need to create that @nameofproject link in a new story of my new task (see pic 2). I tried @ and then inserting project name as you would if you were doing it manually from within Asana (see pic 3). This just gave me normal text that was not hyperlinked. Is there special markdown syntax to use? Originally, I was thinking of inserting the URL to the project, but I couldn’t find such a thing in the dropdown options for the newly created project from template zap (pic 4). Your input is greatly appreciated.

Pic 1

Pic 2

pic 3

pic 4

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Joski 

If you know the Project ID, then you can create a URL by using a combo of static and dynamic value.

https://asana.com/[WORKSPACE_ID]/[PROJECT_ID]

@Troy Tessalone I will give that a go, thanks!

Hello @Troy Tessalone ,

I wanted to follow up with my results. I could not get it to work. I tried how you suggested but it was not a workable link. I noticed that the Gid comes first but the second string of numbers, the Project ID, I could not find anywhere in the available fields - I tried various options in the sequence including where the Project originates from (Zap 26. Create Project from Template in Asana) and also from using a search zap to find Project (Zap 32. Find Project in Asana). 

The highlighted URL above for this project is what I am trying to get posted to a new story in a task in a different project so that they are linked.
The task in a different Project that I want the URL to link the main Project to. Tried 6 different variations.
The setup - Zap 26 is where the main project originates. I also created Zap 32 to find the main project hoping it would provide me with better ID numbers. Not sure why there is no data in Workspace Id. Also, these numbers don’t correspond to the created project in photo 1 and 2 - these are from a previous template.
2nd Try. The Gid seems to be in the correct spot - it corresponds to where it should be in the sequence as shown in photos 1 and 2.

I tried basically all the available and different ID number type fields in Zaps 26 and 32. I could show screenshots for tries 3-6 but none worked. At this point I’m stumped.

-Joe

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Joski 

The structure of this Asana link is app.asana.com/0/[PROJECT_ID]/[TASK_ID]