Best answer

How do I create a Zap to notify Slack channels and send emails when Google Sheets entries are updated?

• 3 October 2023
  • 5 replies

I have 3 questions:

I create a new flow that will replace some system we are currently using in our company, 

im planning to purchase a zap plan because the one I need is limited to 1000, before purchasing I want to test the flow to see that I can achieve everything I need by this new flow.

I created a google form that when we filled the form the data collected in a google sheet and I integrated it with Slack channel so everyone can see the new update with all the details I need, this step works well,

I need to add another level that I cant find an article about it in your help center

1. I would like to create a slack message with all the details when someone updating directly the google sheets , I would like anytime that some changes made in the google sheets (update\ some parameters changed etc) to notify everyone in the slack channel with all the details of each row .how can I create this automation? 
  2. can I send this notification to 2 different slack channels?
  3. Can I send an email/ private slack message at the same time to the person who submitted the form with a short message to remind them to do some action? example: send email to writers once the form was filled
icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 3 October 2023, 18:43

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Mayy 

Good question.

As an alternative, you may want to consider using Airtable instead of GSheets.

Airtable has Form Views.

Airtable has Automations.

Airtable Automations have a native integration with Slack.

Airtable Automations can be triggered when forms are submitted or when fields are updated.

So there is no way doing that with google sheets ? I already created the form and connected it to the channel 

and if not, which option should I use? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Mayy

GForms can be connected to GSheets.

https://support.google.com/docs/answer/2917686?hl=en

Zaps have 1 trigger step and 1+ action steps.

Have you reviewed the available Zap triggers/actions for the apps involved?

@Troy Tessalone  I will explain myself, I already connected the google form to google sheets, I already created the integration with zap from this sheets to slack and all works well, the only thing im missing is the automation when some changes / updated been done in the google sheets I would like zap to send notification with all details to slack, do we have this option or should I have to use airtable ? if so,

which option should I use?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Mayy 

Make sure to review the available help articles for using GSheets in Zaps: https://zapier.com/apps/google-sheets/help

Zap triggers unexpectedly/rows trigger too soon

“New or Updated Spreadsheet Row” trigger behavior

If you’re using the New or Updated Spreadsheet Row trigger and choose Any column to monitor, any change to a row will trigger your Zap. If you select a specific column, then the Zap will only trigger when there are changes on that column.

miscEye icon Note

Zaps using New or Updated Spreadsheet Row will also trigger for any new rows in the spreadsheet, even if the specified column is blank. To avoid triggering in those cases, add a Filter step to your Zap.

The "Updated Spreadsheet Row" trigger stopped triggering

If you're watching for changes to a column, we only see new values in that column. If you update the column of an existing row to a value that Zapier previously saw in that column, in that row, we won't see the new value. You will need to either choose a column that will only have unique values, or make a new one which will.

For example, if you had X in the Trigger column, then changed it to Y, the Zap would trigger. If you then changed it back to X it would not trigger again, because the Zap has already seen X in that column.

Have you reviewed the available Zap triggers/actions for the apps involved?