Best answer

How do I create a Zap to check if the folder exists and divert to other paths?

• 16 August 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks again for anyone helps me out on this (Especially if you’re the Zapier God, Troy Tessalone)

Okay so I’ve made a zap that will trigger based on a video being approved. A client folder is then made and the approved video is duplicated and put into the folder. The issue I have is that I don’t want a new folder to be made each time a video is approved.

I need the zap to detect if path A/(creating a client folder) has been done & if so to do path B which is just to create an asset in the client folder.

The issues I have is two parted; how to I make the zap check if a folder has been made before and divert to the other path? Additionally in Path B how do I create the asset in a client folder if one already exists. I can’t refer to Item 9 because it’s in a different path?

Open to change things if using Zapier paths isn’t the best way of doing this!

I really appreciate the help! Thank you

icon

Best answer by jayeshkumarbhatia 17 August 2023, 12:39

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @CannonBall 

Good question.

A Folder is an Asset.

Perhaps you need to add another step before the Path to search for a Folder Asset.

This will return a data point that indicates if a match was found. (true/false)

Configure the Path Filter step to use that true/false value.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Troy Tessalone 

Thanks again for helping out!

What would I need to select to make the action search for a folder? To see if it would work, I put in the “client edit” folder’s parent ID into the asset section and it worked perfectly.

However the client edit folder parent ID will change each time a new folder is created so this isn’t repeatable without manually having to input the ID for each project I use this automation.

Sorry if this is obvious but I’m a bit stumped. It would be great if I could just put in a “client edits” for the asset section

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@CannonBall 

To search for a ‘Folder’ Asset, you may need to use the Frame.io API: https://developer.frame.io/api/reference/operation/assetSearchGet/

Zap action: Frame.io - API Request

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone ah that’s what I was worried about, I haven’t got a clue about coding or API requests. I’ll ask on the frame developer forum and see if anyone could help me with the code. Thanks again Tory!

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Hi @CannonBall ,

Try below to search for folders in a project. Replace 2nd and 3rd values from your account.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @jayeshkumarbhatia 

Thanks so much for replying, really appreciate the help!

What values would I input for the q section? The folder name I’m searching for?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Hi @CannonBall ,

Thats Correct!

Hi @jayeshkumarbhatia 

Thanks so much for replying, really appreciate the help!

What values would I input for the q section? The folder name I’m searching for?

Userlevel 1
Badge

@jayeshkumarbhatia  ah perfect thanks so much, got it working!

The issue I have now is that the create asset function breaks if the approved file is has multiple stacked versions: 

I’m sure I can work it out separately but if you have any tips for this ^ I would be forever grateful. I was worried I was going to removed the create folder function but you’re help has saved it