Best answer

How do I create a HubSpot to Stripe automation for customer subscriptions based on custom properties?

• 7 March 2024
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi

This might look like a newbie question but I’m really stuck!

I wanna create a workflow that ultimately creates a subscription for my customer in Hubspot.

To do so, I need a product name in Stripe which has been mentioned in Hubspot from my sales team.

So I created a custom property under deal in Hubspot. I called it Stripe plan id. So for now, I enter the email address of a customer in a google sheet, zapier grabs that and goes to hubspot to find that client. 

Here is were I get stuck. I need zapier to go and find that field in Hubspot. 

Then in stripe, I need zapier to find the client using client's email, and start a subscription for them for that product that’s known by stripe plan id. 

Does anyone has any idea what would be the best event that I can use here?

Also some times I need another field to be use which is another custom property which is the number of product. Sometimes people buy 2-3 of the same subscription and I font know how to tell stripe to charge them for 2-3 subscriptions. 

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 7 March 2024, 16:40

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Fredra 

If the custom property is on the HubSpot Deal, then you will need to derive which HubSpot Deal to lookup.

You may need to add a step: HubSpot - Find Associations

Then make sure to select the desired custom property in the field “Additional Properties to Retrieve”.

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone Thanks That has been solved.

But now the problem is that using that same Id, I can’t create the subscription on Stripe. 

I name the product ABC on stripe, and the retrieved id from Hubspot is ABC as well. 

But in Zapier, I get the error of no such price found.

It seems like the only format that Zapier accepts, is its own format of the item. It is showing my stripe product like this:

Is there anyway that I can make this work? 

Cause when I do it manually, in stripe all I have to put in, is the ABC.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Fredra 

Items field expects the internal ID of the Item.

In this example, it would expect the bottom value that begins with “price_”.

You may need to add additional steps to lookup/translate the correct expected value.

Help article about mapping variables to dropdown lists: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496241696141-Add-custom-values-to-dropdown-menu-fields-in-Zaps

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone Awesome. Thank you so much. That worked beautifully.

The last step is the quantity of subscription. In zapier I couldn’t find a field to specify the quantity of the subscription. Do you think you can help me with that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Fredra 

We would need to see screenshots with the Stripe Zap step you are configuring to have more context.

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone sure

I first set steps like this to find the customer in stripe

then under their stripe account, I use the create subscription Zap to create the subscription using their stripe id and the product id. My question here is that this zap charges them on stripe for the quantity of 1 subscription. While most of the times, my clients buy at least 3 subscription and more (of the same product). To give you a little more context I provide a service in short term rentals industry and each product is a tiered pricing for one listing. while mostly my clients have 3 listings and more. that’s why I need a combination of the product and quantity on this zap, they way that stripe treats it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Fredra 

Help article from Stripe to reference:

https://docs.stripe.com/billing/subscriptions/quantities

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi @Fredra,

HubSpot now has the ability to create and manage subscriptions. In addition, it’s easy to connect your Stripe account so subscription payments via HubSpot go to your Stripe account. Customers have the ability to input the quantity upon checkout and you can set a min/max for the quantity.

Here’s a resource with more information: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/payments/manage-subscriptions-for-recurring-payments

If you’re interested in learning more, let me know, and I could show you how to set up a subscription in HubSpot that feeds into your Stripe account.

All this said, it seems like you’re at your desired solution. My intention is to share in case it’s helpful. I don’t want to cause you to shift gears if what you have is working.

Best,
Ryan Schweighart
Whole Hart Impact, LLC
whimpact.co
I help businesses with HubSpot and Zapier.