Question

How do I copy custom field "Category" from main task to subtasks in ClickUp?

• 11 January 2024
  • 11 replies

I have a task with a custom field called “Category”.

I need that all sub-tasks I create under that main task have exactly the same custom field.

Like copy-paste the custom-field from the main task to the subtasks.

Do anyone knows how to do that?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @jvacirca 

Can you give us more context by posting screenshots with how your Zap steps are outlined and configured?

maybe the issue is that i don’t know how to use very well zapier. im new…

on clickup, i have, for example, this structure:

• MAIN TASK | CATEGORY: HIGH
    • SUBTASK 1
    • SUBTASK 2
    • SUBTASK 3

I cant make that the subtasks hereiss the custom category from the main task

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jvacirca 

Please post screenshots with how your Zap step 2 is configured and where you are trying to configure the custom field.

OK Troy… but sorry.. do you understand my issue?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @jvacirca,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

If the issue is that you want the custom field itself to be added to a subtask by the Zap then no that wouldn't be possible. But I did some checking and if you add the custom field to a list it will automatically be added to all subtasks in that list - Here's where I found that: https://help.clickup.com/hc/en-us/articles/6303536766231-Intro-to-Custom-Fields

So then in your Zap you should be able to then use the Create Subtask action and enter a value into that custom field.

Hopefully, this points you in the right direction!

Hi Ken!

Yep, I know that i can automatically add the same custom field to all tasks in on list. But infortunatelly that doesn’t work to me because i hace more than 1 task and subtasks in the list with different info in the custom field.

When i create a TASK, i need that the SUBTASK created inherit the task custom field.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @jvacirca,

Thanks for the update.

We can't create a custom field using a Zap, we'd only be able to fill them. I checked the ClickUp API and it looks like it doesn't have the ability to create custom fields, only get, set or remove them.

The Create Task endpoint looks like it's able to specify custom field value but it's not clear from the documentation there whether it would allow you to put in the name for a brand new custom field. You could try the API Request (Beta) action to see if it allows you to create fields that way.

Additionally, I’d recommend reaching out to our Support Team to create a feature request on your behalf. You can reach our Support Team here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Hi Ken! Maybe i’m not crear.

Step 1: I’ve created a Task, called “Main task”. This task has a custom field (imagine a checkbox, and it’s ☑)

Step 2: I create a subtask from “Main Task”, called “Subtask 1”. The custom field is empy.

My doubt is: how can I do to make that this “Subtask 1” has the same custom field completed as the “Main task” (in this example, the checbox should be checked ☑ too)

I need some automization to do this:

1- If new subtask is created below one main task → inherit the info in XX Custom field (complete the field with the info)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @jvacirca,

Thank you for the clarification.

Have you tried mapping the data from the trigger (New Task) to the “Create Subtask” action? I’d recommend mapping the matching data from the trigger to the custom fields of your “Create Subtask” action.

You can read more on how to map data here: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496343026701-Send-data-between-steps-by-mapping-fields

I hope this points you to the right direction!

Don’t worry.

It seems that there is no solution to my issue!

Thanks anyway!

Regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I apologize if I wasn’t able to help you with your issue. I’d recommend reaching out to our Support Team for additional support regarding this one.

You can reach our Support Team here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

I appreciate your patience and understanding.