Skip to main content
Question

How do I convert an XLSX email attachment to a Google Sheet in Zapier?

• 8 June 2024
  • 1 reply

I receive a weekly email with an inventory list, in xlsx format. I have set up a Zap that automatically replaces the existing file when we receive the email. But, I am struggling to figure out how to have the xlsx convert to a Google Sheet. It needs to be a Google Sheet so I can call the data into another sheet with the IMPORTRANGE function. 

I’ve tried to turn the “Convert to Editable Document” on, and that doesn’t work. I’ve also tried to edit the extension to be .gsheet and application/vnd.google-apps.spreadsheet, but neither work. I see a few posts about the fact that the Replace Google Drive File action can work for this, but nothing about what the setup needs to be in order to achieve it.

Thanks in advance!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @jaydenza,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

I have tried this on my end and I was able to successfully converted the .xlsx file to Google Sheets format. Here’s how:

1. I created a folder in Google Drive where I store the .xlsx files.
    9c2ae0d3c0f0587efb2e667f6a7f0c7a.png
    (view larger)
  2. I also created a folder in Google Drive to store the converted .xlsx files.
  3. Here’s my Zap setup:
    69bfde521f618395ae2651c5660dce40.png
    (view larger)
    99a4581f43710e46217b8db1650118e2.png
    (view larger)

4. Here’s the converted .xlsx file to Google Sheets:
    72596dce566be35f672cb43a17be0209.png
    (view larger)

Hopefully, this helps!