Best answer

How do I configure filters to differentiate customer and employee plans in Memberstack and Webflow using one Zap?

• 8 November 2023
  • 22 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

So I'm using Zapier with memberstack, and I have two separate plans in memberstack. One for customers and one for employees. Upon sign up in webflow a plan is assigned to each respectively. I only want my employees when signing up to be added to my CMS thus I have set up a filter to stop zapier from copying memberstack updates to webflow if the plan ID matches the customers plan. The problem is that if appears I have configured it incorrectly, as it also appears to have stopped when the plan matches the employee plan. 

Can anyone help me on this? How can I configure my filters so that it would run through if the plan matches employees but not if it matches customer? 

I have setup two different zaps for this process and I'm wondering if there's a way to do this all in one zap? 

I currently have it checking for updates in memberstack then copying that to the CMS if plan equals employees. This is for when an employee updates their profile.

I also have another zap checking for new members and if plan equals employee copying that to memberstack then copying the Cms ID back to webflow at least trying to do this…

Would it be possible to set up a zap to delete a item from the CMS database if it gets deleted in memberstack? How could I filter this to happen only if it's an employee account that's deleted as they are the only ones who have data in the CMS collection?

Please help me! I feel I'm a little over my head here…

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 8 November 2023, 20:37

View original

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Donald-Barlow 

Good question.

We would need to see detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured to have context.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Userlevel 1
Badge

This should work except that updates a member runs first which causes it to error out because the filter in updates a member is set to continue only if CMS ID exists. 

The first one seems to be mostly correct except for some reason the filter settings cannot pull Plan ID unless I change it to "update a plan". 

I know there's probably something simple I'm missing here. This is my first time using Zapier. 

There's probably some way to combine these two. 

I need both functionalities because when an employee creates an account I want their profiles to automatically be added to the CMS and when they update their accounts I need that information to automatically update in both memberstack and webflow. 

Customers account information and updates can just go to memberstack directly as their information isn't public facing. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

It appears that there's some type of priorities given to the list of triggers for memberstack, if a "new member is added", this priority is first which makes sense, however, I can't seem to use the filter to specify which plan ID to filter if I use "new members" however, I can use "when a plan is added" as a trigger, which has the filter option for specific plans. But this unfortunately appears to trigger after "update a member" (second zap) because of that the second zap runs first and errors out because a new member has to be written to webflow and back to memberstack in order for the CMS ID to populate in memberstack. 

If I could somehow force the first one to run, or figure out a way to get the plan ID as a filter option on "new member" this would allow for memberstack to write to the collection list in webflow and copy this back over to memberstack.

Once a member has a CMS ID the second plan with the filter CMS ID exists would run any time an employee updates their profiles. 

To clarify, I have my website set up in a way that when a customer signs up, they are automatically added to the "customers plan" in memberstack and when a employee signs up they are automatically added to the "employees plan"

I hope this makes sense! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Donald-Barlow

We would need to see detailed screenshots with how your Filter steps are configured.

To help you troubleshoot, check your Zap Runs history to see the DATA IN/OUT for each step: https://zapier.com/app/history/

Userlevel 1
Badge

So I’ve attempted to remove the filters because at this point, I just want to get this to function correctly again. 

This was my attempt at getting everything into one zap, basically the idea is Employee creates an account on the website, then it pushes to memberstack, that information then gets put back into webflow with the memberstack unique member ID number, then I MAP the CMS-ID field from webflow back into memberstack. 

Now i’m getting an error that states that the Full-Name field is missing, the weird thing is if I walk through all the steps it works just fine, but if i let it run it errors saying 

This Webflow step hit an error.

Error message: Required field "Full-Name" (name) is missing.

attaching the screen shots. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Donald-Barlow 

Step 1 DATA OUT from Memberstack had no customFields.

Step 2 DATA IN for Webflow has a custom field variable mapped from step 1, which is why the error occurred.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Donald-Barlow 

We would need to see detailed screenshots with how each of your Zap steps are configured to have enough context.

Userlevel 1
Badge

So the issue is with memberstack not transferring the correct information?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Donald-Barlow 

Hard to say for sure when we haven’t been able to see detailed screenshots with how each Zap step is configured.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Donald-Barlow

Hard to say for sure when we haven’t been able to see detailed screenshots with how each Zap step is configured.

Sorry, just added them to the above message! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Donald-Barlow 

You may want to try adding these steps:

Action: Delay (for a few minutes)

Action: Memberstack - Find Member (by ID)

To see if that returned the custom fields data.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Donald-Barlow

You may want to try adding these steps:

Action: Delay (for a few minutes)

Action: Memberstack - Find Member (by ID)

To see if that returned the custom fields data.

should I have this  as the first step in my zap or the second step?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Donald-Barlow 

Zap actions can only be added as Zap Step 2 or later.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Donald-Barlow

Zap actions can only be added as Zap Step 2 or later.

You are a genius!!!!! I think the issue here was that memberstack was immediately sending over the data to Zapier which was fine except that my website has a sign up then an onboarding right after the sign up. So memberstack was sending over just the plan information and the email address but nothing else because not enough time had passed for the rest of the information to be collected. 

Placing a 1 minute delay on the zap allows for memberstack to collect the information that it needed, then I was able to push that through the zap without any issues!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hmm okay, so it's working correctly now but it appears the information isn't going to the correct fields. For example, in the bio field in webflow it duplicated the name. 

Maybe I just mapped things incorrectly?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Donald-Barlow 
We would need to see updated screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Okay so found a step that works, doesn’t require any delays and copies the information over correctly, but the problem is that it is set up in a continuous loop that i can’t seem to stop...I managed to add a filter to the end to prevent it from adding an unlimited number of items to my collection list but i can’t get the zap to complete it process.

Here’s my configuration 

This prevents customers from being added to the CMS collection
This stops the zap from writing anymore but not sure how to stop it from looping. 
this step is irrelevant as I can’t end my zap on a filter, this isn’t ever reached. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Donald-Barlow

You want to put a Filter as early in the Zap steps as possible, ideally as Step 2.

A Filter step can have multiple conditions.

NOTE: The Filter in Step 3 is comparing the left and right side arguments to itself, which will always evaluate to true and pass the filter step, so that needs to be fixed, ideally with a static value on the right side.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Donald-Barlow

You want to put a Filter as early in the Zap steps as possible, ideally as Step 2.

A Filter step can have multiple conditions.

NOTE: The Filter in Step 3 is comparing the left and right side arguments to itself, which will always evaluate to true and pass the filter step, so that needs to be fixed.

roger that, I'll fix it! Any way to get it to stop completely after step 5? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Update, I finally got it working.

Thanks so much for your help @Troy Tessalone 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Yay! Nice work on that, @Donald-Barlow! 😁🎉 And big shout out to @Troy Tessalone for helping with this! 🙌 

Please do reach out in the Community again if we can assist with anything else Zap-related in future - the Community is always happy to help! In the meantime, happy Zapping! ⚡