Question

How do i combine and filter multiple subreddits into a Discord channel?

• 25 April 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi I am new to Zapier, i've started it mainly for this purpose but i will look to learn it and connect with notion in the future too if can get the hang of it.

I am looking to be able to take a list of subreddits and be able to filter down a certain demographic - 18+ UK/EU based gamers etc - I then would like to be able to take these posts that fit this filter into a Discord channel.

I have been trying to set this up using the help of chatgpt and zapier ai but so far seem stuck - I can get the message into Discord but no actual link to the respective Reddit post that triggered the zap etc.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Arcurath 

For us to have more context, post screenshots with how your Zap steps are outlined and configured.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

HI @Arcurath, welcome to the Community! 😁 

Not sure which Reddit trigger you’re using in your Zap but it appears that the New Post or Comment Matching Search trigger for example outputs a link to the Reddit post in two fields - Permalink and Url. So in your Discord action that posts the message, you could try mapping one of those fields in the Message Text field.

For example:

f598228842c9a951a3d44bac16a9d84c.png

Can you give that a try and let me know if that adds the link to the Reddit message as hoped?

Hi @Troy Tessalone + @SamB thanks for your comments and sorry for the delay.

So far I did manage to get it working in 2 different ways - using the reddit connection itself as well as adding in a custom RSS feed of the specific subreddits I am interested in.

My main goal ultimately is to be able to filter to see the relevant posts that fit being 18+ UK/EU based.

I think I will focus on using the reddit connection itself rather than the RSS feed because it seems easier - as well as being able to add in filter for specific flairs too.

I haven’t tested it fully yet but I assume I can keep adding different subreddits on the filter step in the “or continue if” section? - So each “or continue if” section can be dedicated to 1 subreddit each and it would work for all of them instead of interfering with each other? 

I will add some screenshots below of the 2 different setups so far.

Many thanks. 

Reddit connection version
RSS feed version

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Arcurath 

Another option is to use Paths: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496288555917

When in doubt, test it out.