Question

How do I change Zapier YouTube data storage length to 30 days?

• 25 September 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi all - my client’s site, meridianstories.org, uses Zapier to upload user videos directly to YouTube through Ninja Forms and the YouTube API. YouTube limits the number of videos per day that can be uploaded through the API and we are working with them to request an increased quota. One issue I’m encountering through their review process is that they don’t allow storage of YouTube data for more than 30 days. They sent a screenshot of a line of code that reads “store_youtube_api_length: twelve_months” and I’m not sure where this code lives. None of the plugins on the site contain this string. Is this a Zapier storage limit? If so, where can I change it so the storage length is thirty days?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @David E.M. Wood,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

I’m not entirely sure about where the “store_youtube_api_length: twelve_months” is found, but here’s some information I found when searching the web.

Hopefully, this points you to the right direction.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @David E.M. Wood, welcome to the Community! 👋

I did some looking into this and couldn’t see any mention of the storage length being set to twelve months on our side.

I did come across a similar question posted on Stack Overflow here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/61830557/youtube-api-storing-data-for-more-than-30-days

It seems that the solution was “Responding to the YouTube API Services confirming our data retention policy was under the month limit fixed this for us. It was just an internal policy agreement, no setting to update”.

I can’t guarantee that the same approach will work for your client’s case here but thought it might be worth trying just in case.

Please do keep us updated on how that goes!

Userlevel 1

Thanks for your quick replies, Ken and Sam! I reviewed the initial form I had submitted making the request for the additional quota and I was asked that very question. The Stack Overflow comment said essentially the same thing, so I think all I’ll need to do is reply to the YouTube API team and assure them that we will save data for less than 30 days. I’ll let you know how that goes. Thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

You're most welcome @David E.M. Wood! We’re glad that we were able to point you in the right direction!

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 😊

Thanks for your quick replies, Ken and Sam! I reviewed the initial form I had submitted making the request for the additional quota and I was asked that very question. The Stack Overflow comment said essentially the same thing, so I think all I’ll need to do is reply to the YouTube API team and assure them that we will save data for less than 30 days. I’ll let you know how that goes. Thanks again.

Hello David,

I am currently experiencing the same problem. Have you received a response from the YouTube API team?

Userlevel 1

Hi Emre - yes, received a reply - in the email I sent, I wrote “We agree not to store the data in the API client for more than 30 days.” It took about a week for them to respond, but they seemed to think that was acceptable so they increased the quota for us - success!

There’s probably someplace deep in their Ts&Cs that says you can’t store data for more than 30 days, but it seems like they could make it more clear in the application…

Hope this helps!