Skip to main content
Question

How do I capture checkbox timestamps in Smartsheet using Zapier?

• 12 July 2024
  • 4 replies

Hello,

I’m currently interested in getting a time stamp when someone does something on a column in a cell, (when they fill in the checkbox) so i can follow what time it was clicked.

• So i need it to zapier to pick up the change in the Completed Column in Smartsheet
  • Confirm that the change in the cell was caused by the check in the checkbox
  • Pull the time of that Check box
  • Then send it back to smartsheet and add that to the specific row on the Completed Time column

I currently am able to get the date but i need the time to determine the length of time it took with the project. I’m currently creating a zap where:

• it pulls the sheet data from smartsheets when there has been an update to a row
  • then used a filter to only do anything when zapier sees if the check box has been checked
  • then i added a add date/time formatter, but this is where i’m kind of stuck

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. 
Thank you

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @MClubassist 

How to insert timestamps in Zap steps: https://zapier.com/help/create/customize/insert-the-time-your-zap-runs-into-a-field

If you need to format the timestamp value, use this Zap action: Formatter > Date & Time > Format

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Welcome to the Community, @MClubassist! 🎉

Just checking in here to see how you're progressing on this. Did you manage to sort it using Troy’s suggestions?

Do let us know if you’re stuck at all or whether there is anything else you need - keen to ensure you’re all set! 🙂

Hi SamB,

Yea I tried to use Troy’s idea but I’m still stuck. Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Happy to help out here, @MClubassist

Ah, inserting a timestamp using that {{zap_meta_human_now}} command wouldn’t give you an accurate timestamp of when the checkbox is checked. I say this as the Updated Row trigger for Smartsheet is a polling type of trigger, not an instant type of trigger. Looking at the fields we get back from that trigger I can see there’s a Modified At field you could use to confirm exactly when the row was updated though:

632c64f299c1d211ecf70658a3fd7170.png

From there to calculate the time difference you can use a Formatter (Date / Time > Compare Dates) action which will output the difference between two date/time values in days, hours, minutes etc. and add that information back into the sheet. You can learn more about how to use that kind of Formatter action here: Compare dates and times in Zaps

But in order to calculate the difference you’d need a start date/time to be stored somewhere. Ideally the start date/time to compare against would be stored in Smartsheet so that when the a checkbox is ticked you can compare that against the Modified At time.

Hope that helps to get you pointed in the right direction. If you’re still stuck at all do let us know - happy to assist further! 🙂