Skip to main content
Best answer

How do I automatically send a Mailchimp email when a Stripe subscription renews?

• 2 July 2024
  • 6 replies

Hi everyone,

This might be a newbie question, but I cannot figure it out for the life of me so your help would be greatly appreciated. 

So the idea is simple: we have a subscription configured in Stripe. The said subscription renews automatically every year. What we’d like is that every time the subscription renews, the subscriber is automatically sent an email from Mailchimp. 

So what trigger should we be choosing? Because neither New Subscription nor Updated Subscription seems to be right. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @LaviniaM 

You may need 2 Zaps, 1 for each Stripe trigger you mentioned to cover the possible cases.

Userlevel 1

Hi @LaviniaM 

You may need 2 Zaps, 1 for each Stripe trigger you mentioned to cover the possible cases.

Hi Troy, thanks for your answer. But I’m still not sure. 

The Updated subscription says that it Triggers when a customer subscription has changed. - does this change also include renewals? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@LaviniaM 

In Stripe you can configure a webhook here: https://dashboard.stripe.com/webhooks

Stripe Webhook Events: https://docs.stripe.com/api/events/types

Zap trigger: Webhook - Catch Hook

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @LaviniaM,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

I believe the “Updated Subscription” trigger captures subscription renewals. Have you tried using the “Updated Subscription” trigger here? If the trigger did not work, I’d suggest using the “New Payment” trigger if there will be a new payment when the subscription renews in Stripe.

Hopefully, this helps!

Userlevel 1

Thank you so much @Troy Tessalone and @ken.a 

Managed to create the automation using New Payment + Filtering by Amount. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

That’s awesome @LaviniaM! Thank you for looping back for an update here.

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 🤗