Skip to main content
Best answer

How do I automatically repost images from any channel to a specific one in Slack?

Hi there, a newbie with a couple of (I hope) straightforward questions.

I’m struggling to figure out how to automatically repost an uploaded image (in any channel) to a specific channel. Having issues with 2 areas in particular:

1. I’ve set the event to ‘New File’ - but how can I detect if it’s an image, as opposed to any file type?
  2. I’m using the Send Channel Message in Slack trigger, but how do I actually repost the image? 

Thanks!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @AntL,

In order to automatically repost images from any channel to a specific one in Slack, you need to create a Zap using the following steps:

Trigger: On the other hand, go for “New File” as your trigger in Slack such that whenever someone uploads a new file on all channels it will be sent.

Filter: In addition, include a “Filter” step that checks if it is an image file by looking at the filetype field of the trigger output. Therefore, this means if the filetype happens to be JPG, PNG, GIF etc., then it’s an image.

Action: However, we can modify the action to sending messages in channel. On “Message Text” field we can put URL of image file using URL private field from trigger output; this posts image into specified channel.

Please remember that actual names of fields might differ depending on exact Slack and Zapier integration used.

Hope that helps.

Userlevel 1

Many thanks!