How do I automatically populate a Google Sheet with file data from a Google Drive folder?

• 15 June 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hello,

My zap will consist in:

trigger: when someone uploads a new file to one folder in google drive (it works)

I need this file to populate another one where I will gather historical data. The format is like this

The zap is set to do this:

​​​

I tried to use update rows, I tried to do a lookup, I tried to create new rows, but It only creates after the rows:

Can someone please help? I really appreciate it! Thank you!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Mary Sassaqui, great question! 🙂

After the Create Spreadsheet Column action that adds a new column, you’d need to use a Update Spreadsheet Row(s) action. In the Row Number field (on that Update Spreadsheet Row(s) action) you’d select the Formatted Rows ID field which would contain the unique ID number for each row that’s found by the Get Many Spreadsheet Row(s) action.

For example:

84e5125932be86c9a32ab2c8d53e53e0.png
This should help to get the information the Zap puts into the new column, added to the existing rows. 

Can you give that a try and let us know how it goes?

Badge

Hello,

Thank you for the suggestion, it worked but not in the way I want to see in the future.

Each month someone will upload this file and I have to populate it with new columns, the problem is that using Update Spreadsheet Row(s) shows columns that already exist. How can I make it work with new columns and when every month I’ll have the same row ids?

Kind regards,

Mary

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Mary Sassaqui,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

I've attempted to recreate your workflow, but it seems I'm unable to replicate the workflow you're looking for. I have two suggestions that might help.

Firstly, I recommend opening a support ticket with our team. This will allow them to look closer into your setup and provide personalized assistance. You can reach our Support team here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help 

Secondly, you might find it beneficial to consult with one of our certified Zapier Experts. They're highly skilled at optimizing workflows and can help you achieve the results you're aiming for. You can reach our certified Zapier Experts here: https://zapier.com/experts

Thanks! 😊