Best answer

How do I automatically email task details from Asana, using Outlook, once a task is completed?

• 26 April 2022
  • 9 replies

Hello, 

I am trying to create a Zap that will allow me to automatically send an email out (via Outlook) to a client that has a link in the body of the email. That link will be copied/pasted into a task comment or description and will be unique to that task each time. 

Basically, I’m trying to work around having to compose a new email every time we add this link within the task. 

(note: we are a social media management agency and the link I’m sharing are upcoming post preview links)

Thanks for any help or alternative suggestions you can provide! 

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 26 April 2022, 05:02

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @cnorris_10 

Can you please clarify your question, and provide a specific example for us to have more context.

Yes of course. 

We schedule social media posts for a variety of clients. Each post is a task and then there is a Milestone in Asana where our SMMs past a Sprout Social preview link to be shared with the clients. Typically, we compose an ema each week for each client that contains that preview link.

I was hoping to setup an automation that once the milestone task in Asana is marked complete, a generic email can be sent to a specified client with the text (preview link) from that task included.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@cnorris_10

Try these Zap steps:

1. Trigger: Asana - Completed Task
  2. Action: Filter (TBD if this is needed to isolate only the desired Tasks)
  3. Action: Outlook - Send Email

Thanks Troy! Will the desired isolated task include the url (to the sprout social preview) within the body of the email? 

Just having a generic email notifying of a completed task isn’t necessarily going to help us.

Chris

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@cnorris_10 

You’ll have to configure the Email to be sent.

To:

Subject:

Body:

Will we have to configure the email every time or can we setup it one-time with the to, from, subject, body, etc. to be consistent?

Ideally, I’d love to have the email the same each time but what it pulls from Asana task (link) different each time upon marking the task complete.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@cnorris_10 

Yes, you can create an email template when you configure the Zap for the action Outlook Send Email and can include static or dynamic data points.

Thanks Troy. I’m trying to get it to send the email while pulling the email body text from a specific task description. Do you know how I can sort through this data so I can find the right field?

Here is a link to preview what I’ve started setting up: https://zapier.com/shared/a7d0b1a0cd09a0e7aa387a13e25acfc2592486ac