Skip to main content
Question

How do I automate the process of creating an intermediate Word file for translation with ChatGPT using Zapier?

• 13 July 2024
  • 3 replies

I am using a translation platform to translate a long document (20,000 words).

The in-built machine translation works quite well for this type of document, translation engine being DeepL.

However, after giving it a try, it looks like ChatGPT 4 is providing slightly better suggestions.

In order for me to use ChatGPT as suggestions, I can first export (from my translation platform) the source (that is, the text in its original language, including the formatting tags) to Word.

This export is a Word file with a number of tables, but only two columns of these tables are relevant (untranslated word in a column, translation to be added in the next column).

ChatGPT is a bit funny when you try to prompt it to translate column 1, line 1 and paste the translation in column  1, line 1 - and so on.

However ChatGPT works much better when I provide it with a table of a single column and ask to translate it directly. This means i have to create a “intermediate” Word file containaing only the source text table.

I am now looking for an automation that would allow me to do this and minimise the number of manual copy/paste across documents. I could probably use Google docs as an intermediary format if it came to it.

Thanks

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Translator, welcome to the Community! 🎉 

The OneDrive app doesn’t provide the contents of files but you could use a Zap to trigger when a new file is added to your OneDrive. Then use a Google Drive Upload File (Google Drive) action which has a Convert to Document? option that can convert it to a Google Doc. From there you’d use a Text from File (Files by Zapier) action to extract the contents of the Google Doc - be sure to select the Files Txt field from the previous action like so:
5ca5d75677ec2aeec01a65ee42890bbf.png

That should get the text from the Google Document which can then be passed to a ChatGPT action to translate the text into the relevant language.

Hope that helps to get you pointed in the right direction. If you run into any issues on that or have further questions just let us know!

Hi Sam,

Thanks for this step by step. Will give it a go. 

Pity that ChatGPT’s interface is so clunky, it is almost like it is experimental.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Translator,

We just wanted to see how everything is going with your Zap. "Did Sam's idea work for the job?" If you need any assistance, feel free to reach out. 

We're happy to address any concerns and assist you.