Best answer

How do I automate the completion of the Todoist task when the Notion task is created?

• 19 August 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

I use Todoist to quickly capture ideas and tasks.  I created a ZAP to take those new entries and add them to my task database in Notion.  This works perfectly.  Now what I’m wanting to do is automate the completing of the Todoist task when the notion task is created.

I’ ve been testing different ZAP combinations but haven’t been able to figure out how to get it to find the Todoist item based on the notion task name in the database.  Any help would be much appreciated.

icon

Best answer by Jillian 22 August 2022, 17:06

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @spinman. I like your approach. I always get a bit annoyed when my super clean task management tool of choice (Asana) gets bogged down by my quick notes. Might have to look into something like this myself!

So, let me make sure I understand your workflow right:

1. You create a task in Todoist. (Done!)
  2. Zap sends Todoist task to Notion as new database item. (Done!)
  3. Zap marks Todoist task as complete. (To do!)

Do I have this right?

If so, you should be able to accomplish this all in the same Zap. The first part you already have setup (Todoist task → Notion database item). From there, you’ll want to add an action of “Mark Task as Completed (Todoist)”. I’m fairly certain Todoist behaves similar to Asana, so in this step you’ll want pick “Custom” under the Task field and select the task ID (This is important! Telling it to find the task by name won’t work.). Zapier finds the ID from the previous step and should mark it as completed.

It does take a few seconds to run through, but I just tried building it out with Asana and Coda (I know, different tools - but similar concept) and it works. Thanks for the idea. :)

Let us know how it goes!

Userlevel 1

Sweet.  I’ll give that a shot here shortly.  Thanks!!

Userlevel 1

Hi @Jillian 

I tried this about 10 min ago.  According to the ZAP history it was successful.  It did create the notion task, however it still hasn’t completed the Todoist Item.  You mentioned it could take a while, how long is awhile lol?

Thanks!

Userlevel 1

@Jillian

Disregard my last comment.  I tried just the ID: and it worked!

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Oh good @spinman! I’m so glad to hear it worked. Enjoy the new and improved task management. 😁