Question

How do I automate data transfer between two Google Sheets for client invoices?

• 19 September 2023
  • 1 reply

I have never used Zapier before and want to use it to connect two Google spreadsheets.

I work for a marketing agency that uses two spreadsheets in order to manage invoices for clients. One workbook contains multiple tabs - each tab being a different client - and tracks all of the clients’ ads along with their respective clicks, cost, impressions, etc. In the second workbook, there are multiple tabs, each tab containing an invoice.

My job is this: take all of the information from the first workbook and copy and paste the cost, number of impressions, number of clicks, etc. into an invoice so that it can be given to a client. It is all “plug and chug.”

Is there a way to link the two spreadsheets so that every time a number is entered into spreadsheet 1, it gets automatically plugged into the invoice in spreadsheet 2?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @addiemarketing, welcome to the Community! 👋

It is possible to have new rows in one spreadsheet added to a new row in another tab (worksheet). For that you’d use a New Spreadsheet Row trigger followed by a Create Spreadsheet Row action (each set connected to different tabs). But you’d need some way of identifying which invoice tab the row’s data needs to be added to.

A lookup table could help with that - it’s basically a list of the clients and the corresponding invoice worksheet/tab ID number, but I’m not sure that’s necessarily the right approach here.

How is the invoice tab sent to the client currently? For example do you make a copy of the tab and save it to a new spreadsheet file? Or do you use that information to generate an invoice in an accounting app of some kind?

Also, do you manually create each invoice tab for each client or would you want the Zap to create the invoice tab? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a better picture of the workflow here so we can better advise on how to approach this.

Looking forward to hearing from you on this!