Skip to main content
Question

How do I automate data extraction from receipts in Google Drive and update a Zapier Table?

• 19 May 2024
  • 7 replies

Hi everyone,

I’m Bruno Fernandes, and I’m looking to enhance my existing Zapier workflow for automating the tracking of my outgoing payments. Here’s the current setup and the additional automation I need:

Current Setup:

• I have successfully created a Zap where, upon receiving a booking through my reservation system "Bokun", a record is created in a Zapier Table.

What I Need:

• Whenever I make a payment to a supplier, I want to place the receipt in a specific Google Drive folder.
  • Zapier should then pick up the receipt from Google Drive, extract the necessary information, find the corresponding record in the Zapier Table (using the Booking ID), and update the Zapier Table with the receipt details.

Details:

1. Trigger: When a receipt is added to a specific folder in Google Drive.
  2. Action: Extract data from the receipt (e.g., Booking ID, payment amount, date, supplier name).
  3. Action: Find the corresponding record in the Zapier Table using the Booking ID.
  4. Action: Update the Zapier Table (or Google Sheet) with the extracted receipt details.

Challenges:

• Identifying the best method to extract data from the receipts automatically.
  • Ensuring accurate matching and updating of records based on the Booking ID.

Any guidance on setting up this workflow, especially on data extraction and record matching in Zapier Table or Google Sheets, would be greatly appreciated. Additionally, if there are specific Zapier apps or third-party tools that can facilitate this process, I’d love to hear your recommendations.

Thank you for your support!

Best regards, Bruno Fernandes

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Hey @Bruno.Ilha ,

Are you using any app to make payment to your supplier? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi @Bruno.Ilha I assume your receipts are images or pdf? Are they in pretty standard formats? I have a similar case with non-English receipts and managed to help parse and send to a system (accounting or google drive). If you have any samples that would be great to take a look.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

can u provide more details

Thank you all in antecipation for you help. 

To provide more context:

We receive bookings from our clients through the Bokun system. Each time a booking is made, a record is automatically created in ZapTable via Zapier. This step is already set up and works as follows:

Booking Record Creation:

• A booking is made through Bokun.
  • Zapier triggers an event to create a corresponding record in ZapTable with the booking details.

The help I need begins from this step:

Receipt Detection and Data Extraction:

• After a certain period, I make a payment to the supplier via a bank transaction.
  • I receive a transaction receipt, which I save in a specific folder on Google Drive.
  • We always include the "Booking Product ID" in the description of the receipt.
  • A booking has a unique "Booking ID" code, but within a booking, we also have unique "Booking Product ID" codes since sometimes the client books more than one product in a single booking.
  • Our payments to the supplier are based on the "Booking Product ID."
  • Sometimes, a single booking will have payments to different suppliers, as the products reserved in the same booking may be from different providers.

Updating the Booking Record:

• Zapier detects the new receipt in the specified Google Drive folder.
  • Zapier reads the information contained in the receipt, focusing on the "Booking Product ID," which is present in both the booking record and the receipt.
  • Zapier searches for the corresponding record in ZapTable using the "Booking Product ID."
  • Zapier updates the record in ZapTable with the payment details, such as the bank accounts involved, other receipt information, and the URL where the receipt is located on Google Drive.

To clarify the structure and the required updates, I have attached an example of a Google Sheet that illustrates how we maintain these records. The key challenge is ensuring that Zapier correctly matches the records using the "Booking Product ID" and updates the existing record with the new payment information accurately.

I appreciate any guidance or suggestions you can offer to streamline this process and make it more efficient!

Zapier Table where a register is created automatically once I receive a booking 

Payments registration I do manually todays day and wish to automate
sample os bank receipt suppliers payments

Hey @Bruno.Ilha ,

Are you using any app to make payment to your supplier? 

Just the bank app, I have added more info to the post now, including a sample os the receipt 

Hi @Bruno.Ilha I assume your receipts are images or pdf? Are they in pretty standard formats? I have a similar case with non-English receipts and managed to help parse and send to a system (accounting or google drive). If you have any samples that would be great to take a look.

I just added more info and also a receipt sample and a print from the table and google sheet I wish to automate

Thanks in advance

can u provide more details

I have just added a bit more detailed explanation. 

I hope this helps. Thanks in advance