Question

How do I automate club membership management using Zapier with WordPress, Google Sheets and Google Groups?

• 13 April 2024
  • 3 replies

I am looking for a way to automate and streamline the task of managing the membership list for a small social club.  In order to explain what I am looking for, I think it’s important to stress who the users of this will be: I am the “webmaster” for a local beekeeping club. Just a local social club of people who enjoy beekeeping.

Like almost all social clubs, we have a membership - but (and this is important) -  We do NOT “sell membership things on our website”.  

I will say at the outset that our club is using GSuit for Non-profits, which gives us access to all of the “google goodies”.   Ok, here is the nitty gritty of what I am looking for.   Currently what we are doing is:

When some wants to join the club:

!-->

!-->

!-->

!-->

• The prospective member fills out the form on the website (Wordpress, currently using "Contact Form 7 plugin"), which sends an email to the club secretary with their membership information. Normal stuff: Name, address, phones, emails, how long they've been beekeeping, how many hives they have, if they would be willing to mentor a newbie, etc.!-->!-->
  • The club secretary gets the email and puts all of the information into a Google Sheets file (the club uses GSuite for non-profits, so we have access to all of the google goodies).  The secretary is doing this MANUALLY - literally cut & paste from the email into the Google Sheets file. 
  • The club secretary THEN puts much of that same information into the Google Contacts.  Again - MANUALLY
  • The club secretary THEN adds the person to the GoogleGroups email list.  
  • In addition, when the treasurer (another person in the club) gets notified that the person paid their membership dues (the Contact Form gives them several options of paying using PayPal, Venmo, Cashapp, or Zelle), they enter that information into the same Google Sheets file the secretary used above (into columns for "Method of Payment", "Payment date", Membership valid through (in case someone pays for multiple years)

What I am looking for:

I would really like a way to automate this stuff so that the membership information is put into a database (it could be Google Sheets, but doesn’t have to), added to the Contacts list, then the person is added to the googlegroups club email list.  This sort of “step-by-step” function seems to me to be what Zappier is made for. 

So what do I do?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Texas BeeMan 

Try these Zap steps:

1. Trigger: Webhook - Catch Hook
    1. This will generate a unique webhook URL to configure in CF7
    2. WordPress Plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/cf7-to-zapier/
  2. Action: Google Sheets - Create Spreadsheet Row
  3. Action: Google Contacts - Find Contact (else Create Contact)
  4. Action: Google Groups - Add Member to Group

Hi @Texas BeeMan 

Try these Zap steps:

1. Trigger: Webhook - Catch Hook
    1. This will generate a unique webhook URL to configure in CF7
    2. WordPress Plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/cf7-to-zapier/
  2. Action: Google Sheets - Create Spreadsheet Row
  3. Action: Google Contacts - Find Contact (else Create Contact)
  4. Action: Google Groups - Add Member to Group

All that makes logical sense - but I don’t have the first clue on how to do any of that.   Is there a tutorial or youtube video that would show me how?

Is Contact Form 7 even the right way to go about doing this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Texas BeeMan 

If you need help, consider hiring a Certified Zapier Expert: https://zapier.com/experts