Question

How do I add a new Shopify customer to a Google group with a dynamically changing member email using Zapier?

Badge

Every time I get a new customer on Shopify I want to add that customer to my google group. I set up the trigger “new shopify customer” and then the action “add to google group” In that action it asks for “Member email” which is required. What am I supposed to put there? Because whatever email I do put (let’s say I put my email), it ONLY adds my email to the google group. If I get a new customer it won’t add them because my email is in the action. I want the member email to change with every new customer. How do I do that?

Thank you!!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @JohnMarshall 

Good question.

You’ll need to map the Customer Email from the Shopify trigger step to the GContacts action step using the ‘Custom’ mapping option.

Please post detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured for us to have more context, thanks.

Badge

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@JohnMarshall 
The error indicates the email address already belongs to the GContacts Group.

Try turning the Zap ON, then check the Zap Runs: https://zapier.com/app/history/

​​

Badge

Yes, that’s the problem.

In the action they ask for a member email. I put a customer in, but I need the email to change every time I get a new order.

Badge

It was a success when I would manually put in a new email address in the action.

Badge

In regards to what you said earlier, how do I map the customer’s email?

Thank you!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@JohnMarshall

You have it mapped correctly.

If you wanted to prevent the errors, then you’d need to change the Zap steps…

1. Action: GContacts - Find/Create Contact
  2. Action: Filter
    1. Condition: If existing Contact Group does not contain the desired Group
  3. Action: GContacts - Add Contact to Group

Badge

Thank you!!!

Will these steps put my shopify customers in my google contacts, or is that something extra I need to do? They are presently not going into my google contacts.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@JohnMarshall 

If you configure this step correctly it will find and existing Contact OR create a new Contact in GContacts.

• Action: GContacts - Find/Create Contact
Badge

Thank you thank you!!!

Badge

Another question. The filter action didn’t have the choices you recommended

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

HI @JohnMarshall 😊

You’re almost there with the filter step! In the box on the right, you need to add the name of the groups that you want to stop the Zap ie the groups that you want to add contacts to.  

​I hope that's clear, please let us know if you have any questions!

Badge

Hi and thank you! 

The drop down didn’t give me that option. 

Badge

Ok, I see I was able to type it in. I just did that and moved onto the next step. Add contact to group. I am stuck again. I can’t type the google group I want and it’s not in the drop down. And who do I write for the contact?

Thank you!!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@JohnMarshall 

In GContacts, create the new Group you want, then you can select the Group from the dropdown list.

For the Contact, you will need to map the contact ID from the previous step.

The Contact ID will have the word “people” and make sure it doesn’t have a timestamp at the end.

Badge

Great! That worked. Now how do I get that new customer into an google group. Not a group in my contacts but a google group. I added the action “add member to google group” but I don’t know what to put in for the member email. I tried putting the original ID from the last action but it didn’t work.

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@JohnMarshall

You’d map the email address from a previous step to the Member Email field. (e.g. test@tester.com)