Skip to main content
Best answer

How do I add a Google file from a form into a new Google Drive folder created by Zap?

• 14 February 2024
  • 10 replies

I am a super newbie so expert advice welcome in lamen terms 

I have a fillout form as a trigger. 

As part of the workflow I would like a google drive folder created in the name of the person on the form (which I find easy and completed) 

The next step I find hard is… I would like documents from the form uploaded to the google drive folder that was created in the step ahead (this folder does not have a name but would be named from the field in the form as name of the person) 

Due to their being no folder name at the time of creating the zap, how do I tell zap to find that folder name just created and add it to that file. 

I have researched it and see someone mentioned adding add a filter step. 

But I am so lost with trying to add a file submitted from the form to a google drive folder which was created by the Zap.

This is my loom video of my set up currently. 

I need help on how to add files to same folder that was created in my zap flow please.

Thank you much appreciated.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @AREEMA PROP 

Help article about sending files in Zaps: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/send-files-in-zaps

General concept:

1. Trigger: Fillout - New Submission
  2. Action: GDrive - Create Folder
    1. This will return an ID for the Folder to use in a following step
  3. Action: Looping - Create Loop from Line Items
    1. Used to handle 1+ files
  4. Action: GDrive - Upload File
    1. Map the Folder ID from Step 2

@Troy Tessalone I saw this EXACT answer from you in another post however does not solve the issue. Copy and paste…

I need to understand how I can add the file to the folder created by zap.

So on the

1. Action: GDrive - Upload File
    1. Map the Folder ID from Step 2

How do I get the FOLDER ID to match the one created in step 2? 

Hope this makes sense.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@AREEMA PROP 

Use the ‘Custom’ tab to map dynamic variables.

When I use the custom tab in the Drive field 

Or

Custom tab in the Folder field? 

When I put the custom tab in the folder field - it comes up with an error.

@Troy Tessalone 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@AREEMA PROP 

We would need to see updated screenshots with how your Zap steps are outlined and configured along with encountered errors to have full context.

@Troy Tessalone 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@AREEMA PROP 

Help article about using files in Zaps: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/send-files-in-zaps

See field field description for guidance.

The mapped value is only the file name, not an actual file (object or url).

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@AREEMA PROP 

Help article about mapping dynamic variables to dropdown fields:

https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496241696141-Add-custom-values-to-dropdown-menu-fields-in-Zaps#01H7FR09FBEAKK4ZZP678QDE9T

So I dont know what the file name will be this depends on the user. 

The file name will be from that field in the form. 

So how do I ensure that file uploaded from the form is the same file uploaded into the google drive? 

Also the file custom file section still not explaining nor does the article what I should put in the custom field not sure if you have watched the whole video. 

I want the user to upload some documents into the form and I want the things from that form to be put in a folder that is created and that file to go into that folder. 

So I have added a file to the system and I have added a value to the folder when I add a custom value to the folder it gives an error message can you see at the end of the video? 

@Troy Tessalone

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@AREEMA PROP 

It may be best to consider hiring help.

Directory of Certified Zapier Experts: https://zapier.com/experts