Question

How do I add a GCLID to a Zap?

• 9 January 2023
  • 9 replies

Hello,

I am new to this and Google ads and need some help, not sure if I’m misunderstanding or what. I have 10 zaps leading to 10 landing pages(different URL’s), but I am to add GCLID tracking to the zaps. In Zapier edit mode, I can see there is a GCLID field where it can be added, but where do I get the GCLID from? I looked online to try and learn more about GCLID’s, but it just confused me.

Thanks.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Devam 

Good question.

Which app is being used for the form on the landing page?

The GCLID is passed as a URL query string parameter on the redirect click link to the landing page.

Generally the landing page needs to use some form of frontend javascript to parse the GCLID from the URL, then set as a hidden parameter to be submitted as part of the form.

Then it can be mapped in the Zap.

Hi Troy,

Thank you for responding. I am using Unbounced to collect the forms and then pass them on to Zapier, which puts them in the Microsoft CRM.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Devam 

A GSearch returned this Unbounce help article related to GCLID, have you reviewed it?

https://documentation.unbounce.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001198863-Passing-URL-Parameters-Through-a-Form

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Devam!

Let us know when you’ve had a chance to have a look at the help guide that Troy shared. We’d love to know if you were able to find the information that you need there 🙂

Thanks!

Hi. Yes, I read all of that. But I just became more confused. 

Some are saying you can’t get a GCLID because it’s dynamic and that you have to put a hidden field in each landing page with a tracking parameter, which will then be submitted via Zapier when it’s submitting the form or a phone call?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Devam 

From the Unbounce help article: https://documentation.unbounce.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001198863-Passing-URL-Parameters-Through-a-Form

Capturing UTM or GCLID Values Using Hidden Fields

Tagging your URLs is a great way to pass detailed information about your campaign or traffic sources back to your Google Ads or Google Analytics account.
You can use URL parameters to manually tag UTM values (utm_source, utm_medium, etc), or to auto-tag using GCLID values.

Read through Google’s documentation on best practices for tagging your URLs and our documentation highlighting some key differences between Auto-Tagging & Manual Tagging.

Whether you are using Smart Builder or Classic Builder, you can use Hidden Fields to capture UTM or GCLID values in your Unbounce form by following these steps:

1. Add hidden field(s) according to the relevant builder instructions above.
  2. Name these parameters according to what you would like to capture These are case sensitive. Below are some of the most commonly used parameters:
    • utm_source
    • utm_medium
    • utm_campaign
    • utm_term
    • utm_content
    • gclid
  3. Leave the Default Value blank.
  4. Click Done in the Classic Builder or Submit in Smart Builder to save the updates.
  5. Save and Republish your landing page.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @Devam 👋🏻

It looks as though those instructions Troy shared from the Unbounce help article should help to get the GCLID fields set up in Unbounce. Have you been able to get those added now to Unbounce now? 

If so, your next step will likely be to pull in a new test sample from the Unbounce trigger on your Zap that has a GCLID value. After that you’ll need to edit the Microsoft Dynamics CRM action in your Zap. In there, you’ll want to select the field from the Unbounce trigger that contains the desired GCLID value. That field would be called something like “Form Data Gclid” I believe. 

Please do keep us updated on how you get on with this!  

Hi, I don’t think this is even the problem at this point. The whole system is broken I think, too many variables between Unbounced>Zapier and Google ads. I think the Google ads setup for tracking is just not right, I’ve spent many hours trying to figure this chain out and it’s just not making sense, so I dunno. Thanks for trying to help anyway.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Ah, I see. That sounds really frustrating @Devam, I’m so sorry about that. 😞

It may be worth reaching out to our Support team at this point. They’ll be able to take a closer look at the Zap and are better placed to investigate further and advise on what might need to be altered to get things working. Please do stop by here afterwards to give us an update on how it goes. We want to make sure you’re all set!