Question

How can I use Zapier to monitor a Google Drive file and use changes as prompts for GPT-4?

• 15 December 2023
  • 3 replies

I want Zapier to monitor a file in a Google Drive and pass changed data to GPT4 as a prompt to complete. I want to store the generated completion in the file. Is that possible either A) within a “custom” GPTs (i.e. the 6 November OpenAI GPTs product) or B) by directly connecting Zapier via the OpenAI API?

For example:

Step 1: Zapier should monitor a Google Sheet for changes to the 2nd row.

Step 2. When Zapier detects a change to the 2nd row it should pass the new contents of the 2nd row to GPT4 to use as a chat prompt.

Step 3. GPT4 should process that chat prompt and return a completion to Zapier.

Step 4. Zapier should replace the 3rd row of that Google Sheet with the completion.

If it’s not possible for Google Drive is it possible for any other cloud providers?

Thanks.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @MHF 

Good question.

GSheet Zap trigger: New/Updated Row

Make sure to add a Filter as Step 2 to limit to only row 2.

ChatGPT Zap actions: https://zapier.com/apps/chatgpt/integrations#triggers-and-actions

Symptoms

You may encounter this issue if you're using the Updated Spreadsheet Row trigger in Zapier, and it suddenly stops triggering when you update the specified column in an existing row. 

Causes

When you update a column in an existing row, Zapier only detects new values introduced to that column. If you change the value back to one that Zapier has previously seen in that row, it won't trigger the Zap again.

How to fix it

There are two ways to address this issue:
  • Choose a column with unique values. Select a column for monitoring changes that will always contain unique values. This means that each row in the column will have a distinct value, ensuring that Zapier detects new changes and triggers the Zap accordingly.
  • Create a new column for updates. If you need to track updates to a column that may contain duplicate values, consider creating a separate column specifically for this purpose. When you update the primary column, simultaneously update the new column with a unique value (e.g., a timestamp or an incremental number). This will trigger the Zap even if the primary column value has been seen before.

As an alternative, you may want to use Airtable.

Thanks Troy. My remaining problem is I can’t pass the content of a Google Doc or Sheet into a GPT. Any ideas? We can do this with Zapier controlling the OpenAI API. But we’d prefer to use a GPT which can load the content from a specified Google doc into the GPT’s web interface. I know GPT in Zapier is in alpha (https://actions.zapier.com/docs/platform/gpt), but do you know whether this is doable?

Userlevel 1
Badge

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

Dear @MHF,

Regarding the automation process involving Google Drive, Zapier, and GPT-4 you're interested in setting up, here are some considerations and suggestions:

- Feasibility of the Workflow with Google Drive and Zapier:

- The described workflow is theoretically feasible. Zapier can monitor changes in a Google Sheet (like the 2nd row) and trigger actions based on these changes.

However, the direct integration of Zapier with GPT-4 for processing text and returning a completion might require custom scripting or use of `webhooks` if not directly supported.

- Integration of GPT-4 with Zapier:

- As of my last update in April 2023, direct integration of GPT-4 with Zapier might not be available as a standard feature.

You might need to use the OpenAI API and set up a custom Zapier action using Zapier's Webhooks or a custom integration.

- Custom GPTs and Their Capabilities:

- Custom GPTs, as introduced by OpenAI, are tailored models but they don't inherently change the way they interact with external APIs or services like Zapier.

The custom GPTs would still require an interface (like an API) to interact with Zapier.

- Alternate Cloud Providers:

- If Google Drive poses limitations, you might consider other cloud providers like Dropbox or OneDrive.

However, the key is the ability of Zapier to monitor changes and trigger actions.

Most cloud storage services offer similar capabilities in this regard.

- Potential Technical Challenges:

- Authenticating and securely connecting Zapier with the OpenAI API.

- Ensuring data privacy and security during the process.

- Handling errors or unexpected inputs from the Google Sheet.

- Useful Technical Tool:

- Consider using PostMan to test connections, with the OpenAI API, using "assistant"s in your 'message' and various other Fine-Tuning options.

For a more detailed solution, you might need to explore Zapier's custom integrations or work with a developer familiar with both Zapier and the OpenAI API.

Keep in mind the need for API keys and potential costs associated with API usage.

Did these insights address your query? If you require further assistance or specific guidance, feel free to reach out.