Question

How can I update notes in Less Annoying CRM with contact data from Trello without requiring a contact name?

I work in both Less Annoying and Trello.  I have the information going one way currently from LACRM to Trello on new contact creation.  My workflow and tasklist is all in Trello so i have tried to set up a Trello to LACRM update notes section each time there is activity in Trello.  The issue is that the Zap is requiring a contact name and wont in LACRM and wont accept the contact search step above the update note on contact step as tcontact name to accept the his final step has a required field of contact name.

How do i get the required field of contact name in my 3rd step to use the information found in step 2?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @EmbraceSimon!

I’m not familiar with Less Annoying CRM, but I’ve taken a look at the actions and searches available and it looks like this should be possible. 

It’s tricky to tell without seeing your Zap step, but it sounds like the problem is that you are trying to use the contact name, but the add note action expects the contact ID. You should have the Contact ID from the Find contact step, you need to put that in the Contact field in the Create Contact Note action.

When you’re adding a custom value to a dropdown field, you most often need to use the ID of the values from the dropdown, and not the name. This help doc has more information on that: Add custom values to dropdown menu fields in Zaps

Thanks @Danvers.  It seems like I cant search on contact id so cannot find that to use on step 3.  All that is available to search on is:

Contact Name

Company Name

Email Search.

I leave them all blank and it searches on all, but it leaves my next step seemingly impossible.

I attach a couple of ss which may help.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @EmbraceSimon 

Good question.

Perhaps you can outline a specific example for us.

How is the Trello Card created? (manually or automatically)

Where in the Trello Card is the Contact Name/ID you are trying to use? (e.g. in a custom field)

@Troy Tessalone Thanks for your response.

I have two instances of Trello cards being Zapped from LACRM.  One is each time a Pipeline step is advanced in LACRM.  On this Zap the Trello is just created as a New task using the attached action.

The main one is each time a new contact is input either manually or via api in LACRM a new Card is created in Trello.

Neither one of these actions brings in the contact id field at this stage.  Do i need to adjust to use the contact ID?  Even if I did that on the new Zap, it appears that to bring notes back to LACRM I have to utilise the contact name which needs to be chosen in the Zap rather than a search for the correct contact name.  This is limiting obviously.

Thanks in advance.

Simon

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@EmbraceSimon 

The LACRM Contact field in this step will expect the Contact ID.

You can tell that because it’s a standardized dropdown field.

If you look at the list of options, each shows the friendly label (contact name) and underneath the ID (Contact ID).

If you save the LACRM Contact ID on the Trello Card in a custom field on the other Zap, then this Zap can map that Trello Card custom field value for the LACRM Contact ID on this Zap, and there would be no need for a Contact Search step.