Skip to main content
Best answer

How can I update descriptions, sections, and column status in Asana from Jira?

• 23 January 2023
  • 6 replies

My question relates to this question:

At the time, it looked like this wasn’t possible. But it appears Zapier is picking up on when I change the status in Jira, so I think this functionality is now possible, I just am struggling to implement it.

I would like to push my board in Jira to Asana so that the rest of the organization can have visibility of what is being accomplished by the dev team. My sections in the Jira and Asana projects are the same. When I create a new issue in Jira, I am creating a new task in Asana.

• How do I append a link to the Jira issue in the description of the Asana issue?
  • I attempted to assign the section by using the custom field “Status Name” from Jira. When the ticket is created in Asana, however, it is being put in the untitled section. How can I have the Jira status drive the asana section?
  • When the Jira ticket is moved to a different column (e.g. from column “Backlog” to column “In Progress” → same should happen on Asana as well as board structure is identical). How can I make this happen?

Thanks!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @AnnieS 

Good question.

1. How do I append a link to the Jira issue in the description of the Asana issue?
    1. If the Zap trigger returns the desired link, then you can map that dynamic variable.
    2. Otherwise, you can probably create the desired link, by using a combination of a static value and a dynamic variable.
      1. EXAMPLE: https://url.com/[ID]

2. I attempted to assign the section by using the custom field “Status Name” from Jira.
    When the ticket is created in Asana, however, it is being put in the untitled section.
    How can I have the Jira status drive the asana section?
    1. Generally, standardized fields expect the internal field option ID, rather than the friendly name, because the friendly name can change, but the internal field option ID won’t change.
      Try adding another Zap step: Asana - Find Section in Project

3. When the Jira ticket is moved to a different column (e.g. from column “Backlog” to column “In Progress” → same should happen on Asana as well as board structure is identical).
    How can I make this happen?
    1. You’ll need to make the Zaps dynamic or make separate Zaps for each use case.
      Will help if you can provide detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured in order for us to have context.

@Troy Tessalone 

Thank you for your response! This was really helpful. I was able to add a link to Jira and correctly add and update the section. 

I noticed something weird when I was testing this. When I create a new Jira story the description is passed in via the custom variable “Description Content Content Text”. When there is a change made to a Jira story, that variable is not available to pass in. How do I ensure the description is being updated in asana when changes to it are made in Jira?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@AnnieS 

We’d need to see detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured in order to have full context, thanks.

Here is how I am updating the task:

Vs. This is how I created the task in Asana:

This Decription Content Content Text field is passing in the correct information to the Description. However, this is not an option when editing the “Notes” field when updating the task upon a change.

The description is being overriden to look like this for all edited tasks

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@AnnieS 

Make sure to use a trigger example that has those fields populated as sometimes those fields only show when there is a value populated.

How to change your trigger test data: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496310366093

Otherwise, you can try opening a ticket with Zapier Support for further guidance: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

@Troy Tessalone Thank you! That was enough to pull in the correct field.

I appreciate your help!