Skip to main content

Hi,

I’m creating automation gpt bot for our own internal use 

just wondering if there is a possibility to call the zap with its own slack Username? 

My current setup looks like this:

Monitor for new messages on a public specific channel → all input text from the channel gets fed to gpt → outputs it as slack channel message. 

my goal: have a username that I can call on slack for the zap instead of zapier 

or is there a workaround for it? i just dont want it to recognize all the input on the channel as user input to be fed on chatgpt

Thank you

Hi @Ethernalz918 

Messages sent from bots will have a metadata point that indicates it was a bot vs a user.

If you need to filter data in a Zap, you can add a Filter step: https://zapier.com/apps/filter/help

Also, when sending messages to Slack, you can specify the Bot Name/Icon.

Hi @Troy Tessalone 

Thanks for your response. Sorry I might wrote it confusing. 

I mean my goal is to trigger the zap whenever a certain username is mentioned so I can configure the zap trigger as slack → monitor mention. 

by default since zapier is installed as an app on slack its username is zapier and is mentioned as @zapier 

my goal is to make the @zapier to @customname associated for this zap. 

I was looking for a setting for this but sadly somehow impossible maybe you know an alternative way to achieve it?

Hi @Ethernalz918,

Welcome to the Community.

Changing the default name of the Zapier bot in Slack from @zapier to @customname isn't possible. However, you can create a new bot user in Slack with the desired username and set up a Zap to monitor a specific channel for mentions of @customname. This workaround involves adding the bot user to relevant channels and coding it to post messages whenever @customname is mentioned. This way, you can still achieve your goal indirectly. I hope this helps you setup your Zap.

@JammerS 

Thank you! 

Thank you for your guide! Yeah I will try this on now. ☺️

Hi @Ethernalz918,

You’re welcome, let us know if you need further assistance. Thank you.