Best answer

How can I tell if Zapier created a calendar event from another Zap so I can NOT run a zap?

• 10 January 2024
  • 8 replies

Scenario:

1. When I add an event to my family calendar, I want to copy a “busy” event to my work calendar. Eg, a doctor’s appointment
  1. When someone at work books a meeting, I want to block that on my family calendar so my family members know I’m busy

The trouble with automating these is the infinite loop of Zapier seeing a new calendar event on my home calendar to copy to my work calendar, but that creates a new calendar event at work that triggers another Zap to copy it to my home calendar.

Is there a way that we can check “this calendar event was made by zapier” to STOP a Zap from running? Like an “if” condition maybe where we can detect happened because of Zapier. Preferably without having to write a code word in the event.

icon

Best answer by ken.a 10 January 2024, 12:40

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @iandouglas736 

Perhaps try GCal options for sharing Calendars so your events sync: https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/37082?hl=en

Hi @iandouglas736 

Perhaps try GCal options for sharing Calendars so your events sync: https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/37082?hl=en

Hi Troy, thanks for answering. If I had that much access to my work calendar, I would. Our IT department blocks sharing events outside of the office, which is why I’m trying to use Zapier.

Even if I append a “(copied by Zapier)” tag in the description of the events, though, I’m still getting circular references where adding something to my home account copies over to work just fine, but then copies BACK to my home account. Likewise, if I add something to my work calendar, it copies to my home calendar, which then triggers the other Zap to copy back to my work calendar.

I do have a filter in there that says to only continue if the description field does NOT contain “copied from Zapier”, but that doesn’t seem to stop the process.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @iandouglas736,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help.

It looks like you’re trying to do a two-way sync. Zapier does not support two-way syncing between apps right now. Think of Zaps like one-way workflows. This help doc has some more info https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/does-zapier-support-two-way-syncing

Instead, Zaps have one trigger (when this thing happens) and one or more actions (then do this other thing). So it's possible to have a trigger with one app and then send data into another app, a one-way flow of data.

In order to do a two-way flow of data, you would need a separate Zap. This may accidentally create Zap loops, so I'd proceed with caution here! https://zapier.com/help/troubleshoot/behavior/zap-is-stuck-in-a-loop

Hopefully, this helps.

Hi @ken.a thanks for your reply. I've done exactly what they suggest in the second link you provided and it still loops. I put known text in the description and added filters to look for that text but the filters don't work 

This ended up resolving itself the following day, shortly after Zapier notified users that filters and formatters were no longer charged as “tasks”. Perhaps their systems were going through some kind of data/system migration or something to prepare.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

That’s an awesome news @iandouglas736! Glad to hear the issue is not resolved.

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 🤗

Actually, Ken, this is NOT resolved. It seems that Zapier’s filters continue to fail … it works for a day, but then I get things like this in my calendar where it duplicates over and over and over, and now I’m being billed for overages!!!

My Zaps are set to NOT work on recurring events, yet this event was a recurring event at my office for next Mon-Friday and it copied over several times.

Another recurring event (a monthly meeting at work) was attempted at LEAST 100 times last night around 8pm, and I’m being billed for the “new or updated event” every time it tries to run.

This is really aggrevating and I need someone to reverse these event charges or I need to look for a different service to automate this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @iandouglas736,

It looks like you already reached out to our Support Team regarding this issue. I’d recommend continuing the conversation with our Support Team since they have the correct tools to look closer at the Zap and its logs.

I appreciate your patience and understanding.