Question

How can I send alerts via Gmail and Slack based on Notion table's reminder deadline date matching the current date?

• 19 July 2023
  • 3 replies

I am trying to create a Notion table resembling a vendors table. The table will include contract start and end dates. Additionally, I have a formula field that calculates the reminder deadline date, which is six months prior to the contract end date.

My goal is to use Zapier to send alerts via Gmail (owners field) and Slack channels when the reminder deadline date matches the current date.

Is it possible to achieve this using Zapier, or are there better alternatives available?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @TechAutomator 

Good question.

Here’s what I would suggest...use Airtable.

Airtable has Formula fields.

Airtable has Views.

Views can have Filters. (e.g. Date = Today)

Views can be used to trigger Zaps.

Airtable has Automations.

Airtable Automations have native integrations with Slack and Gmail.

Thank you for the suggestion. Has anyone attempted this on Notion by anychance? Or can this be not possible at all?

Here is the table I am attempting to setup. I want to be able to trigger the zap based on one the highlighted columns.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there, @TechAutomator

The current Notion triggers only look to see if there’s a new or updated item, but if you want to keep using Notion then there is a workaround you could try involving a calendar app.

The workaround I’m picturing here would consist of 2 Zaps: 

Zap 1 - creates event on the renewal deadline reminder date

• TriggerNew Database Item (Notion) - triggers when there’s a new item added.
  • ActionCreate Detailed Event (Google Calendar) - adds an event on the renewal deadline reminder date.

Zap 2 - triggers on the day of the event and sends the alert

• TriggerEvent Starts (Google Calendar) - triggers on the day of the renewal deadline reminder.
  • ActionFind Database Item (Notion) - searches for the relevant item in Notion to get the email address for the owner the alert needs to be sent to and any other necessary info.
  • ActionSend Email (Gmail) - takes the email and any other necessary information supplied by the previous action and sends out the email alert.
  • ActionSend Channel Message (Slack) - like the above action sends an alert to the relevant channel on Slack.

Hope that helps. If you give that a try and run into any issues just let us know! 🙂